I want a horizontal mill

Us Navy machinist

Registered
Registered
So I want a horizontal mill. I have no real money to play with. I've been playing with casting and I'm thinking that maybe I can get a set of castings made up and come up with something. I'm thinking a smaller mill, maybe a 18"x6"x8" envelope? 3 T slots in the bed. Power feed off the spindle. Motor would be a treadmill motor set up on a double pulley system with a back gear for a lower speed range since I've read that you can squeeze about 200 rpm on the low end and up to a couple grand- good for the eventual vertical milling attachment.

Thoughts?

I know the machine mill not be ideal, especially as a set of aluminum castings.

So I want a horizontal mill. I have no real money to play with.

Well, that is a good place to start. Probably most folks here started with some version of "I want a ... ". Does your moniker mean that you have significant training and experience in machining? Dave Gingery's books include building a milling machine and there are numerous examples people have posted on the internet. Perhaps checking them out would provide you some ideas?

So I went to a trade school where I learned how to file a block of HRS square with nothing but a bastard and 2nd mill file, a Starrett square, and a sharpie to CNC programming and operation. I have a pretty good knowledge base. I have all of the Gingery books, but I'm not wild about the mill, look and the design isn't really what I;m looking for. I am looking for something that I could purchase arbors and standard arbor tooling. I have a southbend 9A from back in the day and I will soon have the gingery shaper (I ran out of aluminum) and I want a horizontal mill because it really is a workhorse for contouring and planing operations with an arbor stack.I kinda want to copy the concepts of the Sheldon Model "0". I'm fascinated by the power feed drive system.

Another thing to keep in mind is that vertical attachments on horizontal mills are sometimes geared to a higher speed. (Mine is.) This means you don't have to set up the horizontal for vertical speeds. The change-of-angle gearing can give you the range you want.

The thought was to run the attachment off of a stub arbor with a pulley and a 90 degree belt change. For the shifting system I was thinking using a simple dog system that I've seen used on a go kart transmission.

I know a guy in central Kentucky that has a used horizontal mill for sale.

Grizzly sells a small horizontal mill, According to the measurements is the same size as the old atlas mill.
I have always wondered why no one sells a larger one in the 6x18 range, I personally believe that there is a market now in the home hobbyist.
I have often thought of asking mat at QM what his views are, but haven't given much effort to it.
As for building one I suggest looking at dave gingery mill plans and photos. Also there is some build photos of one that is larger on the web to give you some ideas. good luck with your adventure.

I kinda like the look of it, but the a lot of the reviews are much to be desired for. It apparently has a goofy horizontal spindle size, it is an R-8 collet (I'd do a 30 taper) so I could buy standard arbors&tooling, and it isn't apparently very rigid.

Un , if you watch craigslist I'm sure you can find some. There are lots of them in our area. I missed a small mill working for $200.00 . Looked like a Rockford . In I fact if your willing to drive to New York there's a nice old one for $350.00 he also has an old Hardinage lathe for $850.00 I think may be $750.00. Just look in different areas and close states. Good luck if you build it I bet it will cost much more.

Back