I Think This Thread Is A Good Idea

I read that thread as. A to you've made for a one time use. Like I made a socket to grab the check valve by the fins on the bottom of my deep well pump because the crappy thin plastic couldn't hold its shape at the nut that was molded in. I'll probably never need one again. It is setting on my tool box waiting for me to need a short piece of pipe for something else. If I loaned that I wouldn't want to pay the return shipping on it.

Probably a good idea to only send out things you are fine with never seeing again, just in case.

I've been in on a couple pass it on to the next guy threads. They usually do really good. People get into the giving spirit & really good stuff finds a new home where it starts getting used again. Some people ask for shipping others just pay it also.

I had a member hear give me 3 new blades for my powered hacksaw a few days ago. I don't know if he had a use for them or not but it was just as important to me ether way. So I have my eye out for the next person I can help.

If I have an extra something, I'd rather just give it away.
Some things I sell so I can buy what I need.

Somewhere,somehow,someone is going to get his loaned tool messed up by loaning it to a person who really doesn't know how to use it. Suppose you loan a MT reamer to someone who doesn't know that his tailstock is hardened. He tries to ream the hole. Your reamer now is screwed up. No telling what this tool loaning can lead to. After all,we really do not know each other personally. We just have a fellowship here.

Chambering reamers for guns can be "borrowed" from some dealers for a fee. But,they make you pay the full price of a new reamer before they send it to you. Then,if the reamer is returned UNDAMAGED,they refund your money. That is a wise policy. There are lots of ham handed wannabe gunsmiths out there.

For example,I know only 2 people who I would let use my Hardinge lathe. And,I know them very well,they having worked with me for many years.

This clown from the golf course of the museum used to come over and use our Grizzly lathe to SAND DOWN pieces of drill rod a few thou.. He used them to make rear axles for golf carts. He did properly cover the lathe,but would have been better off using cold rolled steel.

He used to never be able to turn the lathe off with the switch rod on the apron of the lathe. He ran the lathe full speed,and several times would throw the lathe in reverse because he was too stupid to feel the notch in the switch to STOP it. This went on for a few years.

He had a budget,but had foolishly bought a milling machine when he should have bought a lathe. His mill was not cheap,either. All his maintenance work involved making new axles.

I was just about to forbid him the use of our lathe,when he got fired. He had peeled the state inspection sticker off a museum vehicle,and put it on his own car. Too lazy to take it to get inspected. Good riddance!

There are all kinds of fools out there. I advise CAUTION. Many tools like reamers,indicators,calipers,and other tools are delicate.

I don't want to sound stingy. I am not. I am very generous. But,I have known guys who could tear up an anvil!!!

I can't agree more, remembering loaned a Starret dial indicator to a nephew who subsequently stepped on it !

Isn't there an old saying, "Never a lender, nor a borrower be"? :cool:
I have to know the person real well, and their attitude and abilities, before I lend anything out.
The basic simple problem is - once you loan any item, it leaves your possession, and your control.
It's not the first time I've heard someone say they lent an item - and then found that the person had then lent that item on to someone else! :(

Isn't there an old saying, "Never a lender, nor a borrower be"? :cool:
I have to know the person real well, and their attitude and abilities, before I lend anything out.
The basic simple problem is - once you loan any item, it leaves your possession, and your control.
It's not the first time I've heard someone say they lent an item - and then found that the person had then lent that item on to someone else! :(
Don't I know. I loaned my geometric threading head to a "friend" who later told me how much money he had made with the geo. thai I "gave" him. Thus I have a new policy!

I have a few very close friends who are the only ones eho I loan stuff to. I keep a bunch of Harbor freight crap for everyone else.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

You know how you should never loan a friend money? I feel like this is the same but much worse. I don't know if I cod loan tools to someone I don't personally know or don't live somewhere close by at the very least.

Back