I think I may have too many tools !

Blasphemy!! It's blasphemy, I tell you! Go wash your mouth out with an adult beverage and come back when you have come to your senses. This is how internet rumors get started.

Tom
There is no such thing as too many tools. If a job comes up requiring some special tool, I make it a practice to find, make or buy that tool. I never "borrow" tools. That would lead to my "loaning" tools in return, which ain't gonna happen. By the same token, I never "dispose" of a tool. Even though I haven't used it for years. The tubing bender (conduit) has been out in the barn for 20 plus years. Not used, but protected from rust.

An exception to all this is when some esoteric contraption shows up at a price I can't resist, even though I don't need it, I may in the future. . . An example is a wood planer. I had a perfectly good, all metal(zero plastic) Chinese (early HF) 120 Volt machine. But when a BelSaw showed up at a price I was willing to pay, I jumped on it. Now I have two planers. A friend needed one, but didn't have the space. So he brings wood here and uses the HF machine. The Chinese 12" machine is large enough. The BelSaw is only 14" or so.
But it's a BelSaw.

There was a time when I was "mobile", fiber splicing from a trailer. Needing a tool, it was more efficient (in time) to purchase one locally than to run a couple of hundred miles to my office, or 500 miles to go home to my shop. Now that I am "retired", there is some duplication, especially with generic hand tools. I still have a few friends still alive. Mostly younger than me. . . If one of them needs a "duplicate" tool, I will give them one. Not loan, give. It amounts to the same thing in the long run. Loans so often seem to never find their way home.

Keep that "stuff". Sure as you let something go, you'll need it tomorrow.

I have a friend, who had a lot more machines than anybody I ever knew.
He used to rebuild lathes and had lots of experience. He called himself an "eyeball machinist".
He sold everything to mostly one person. I bought many machines from him as well.
He moved to Florida, no machines, bored out of his mind.
He never got back into his machining hobby. He tells me no one does anything where he lives.
Sad !

I gave a way lots of power, and hand tools when I moved here from Pa. If I had known this was such a machine desert, I would have paid to move many of them.

Okay I have not read all the comments or even looked at all your pictures, but I can tell from the thread title alone that you need some immediate help.

Don't be frightened we will help you through this!
I have dispatched the HM intervention swat team to your location.
I guarantee that this team will get to the bottom of these delusions you're having of "too many tools".

We can fix this......
Listen to the team and to all of us here; hear our words and follow our example.
Soon you will see the error of that previous way of thinking.
You too will once again start lusting after new rare and exotic accessories.

Space, money and mass constraints will once again be something for only your wife/kids/heirs to worry about.

You will once again be filled with exhilaration in hunting down a tool that is just slightly better than one you already have, or exactly the same as one you got last year and shoved in a drawer and have forgotten about.

That thrill of finding and buying it will be second only to the amazing feeling of finally receiving and unwrapping your new tool.
Just imagine actually holding it finally in your own hands, enjoying the heft of it and the way the light reflects off the beautifully machined surfaces.
You will be in total awe of the quality of manufacture, the care taken to chamfer every edge.
You will once again experience the joy of owning something of such great precision.

Welcome back my friend.
You are, once again, one of us!

-brino

Too much junk, not enough tools.

If you wantt to get rid of die filer send me a PM.

Back