I really want a beginner scraping project!!!

IMHO, i'd do the 1-2-3 blocks first.
they are cheap, they are readily available and easy to work with.
you'll get an almost instant sense of accomplishment that will give you confidence to try something larger and so on.

if you want a simple but satisfying project.
make your own hand scraper from an 18" piece of 1"x1/4"thick CRS flat bar, a handle, and a simply brazed or silver soldered carbide toolpoint.
you will of course need a carbide capable or diamond wheel for the grinding mechanism to dress the carbide tip.
an old file can also be ground down to the correct shape for performing scraping operations as well, you'll just be resharpening the cutting edge a lot more than using a carbide toolpoint
I have yet to see 1-2-3 blocks made of anything but hardened steel, so not so good to scrape. Start with a cast iron block of some sort that is smaller than your surface plate, and learn to scrape on that before taking on something larger or more complicated. As far as the scraper is concerned, I started with a file that I forged down thin on the end, re hardened it, and sharpened it carefully, and used it a good bit until I was able to "acquire" a insert type holder made by Sandvik, where the insert clamps into the end of the shank, from where I worked at the time back in the 1960s; I am still using the same insert, they last a long time with careful sharpening . Just any old carbide does not make the grade here; the inserts are made of carbide that is very fine grained and very hard, and need a diamond wheel to sharpen; green abrasive wheels cause chipping on the cutting edges which give poor results on the scraped finish. The inserts are available from Biax, and are not at all cheap, but will last many years. After you have taught yourself to scrape and get good results, then go on to more ambitious projects, and you may want to attend one of Rich King's scraping classes, as Ulma Doc and I both have done and really learn how to do it from a professional; his classes are geared to the beginner, and you will learn to do it the right way, both hand and power scraping; he has videos as well.

I have yet to see 1-2-3 blocks made of anything but hardened steel, so not so good to scrape. Start with a cast iron block of some sort that is smaller than your surface plate, and learn to scrape on that before taking on something larger or more complicated. Quote]

good points,
i thought import 25x75x100mm blocks were often softer and could be scraped.
thanks for the clarification.

You could make some 123 blocks. They dont have to be hardened to be a useful tool and certainly not to learn on.

You can get scraping blades on ebay for 5 or 10 bucks. I ordered one when I stumbled across them, just have yet to make the scraper

This may seem like a waste time....
But, consider just getting some cold rolled steel and making 123 blocks.
They'll have plenty of uses for blocking on the bandsaw or drill press later.
Regardless, if your first scraping looks anything like mine, then you will want little investment as you walk it to the scrap bin.

Daryl
MN

Machines are normally cast iron so I would work with CI because you need to get the feel for what you are scraping if you are going to do a machine later. Find a piece of cast iron.....and scrape it. I have several blocks that I bought from a supplier in Salt Lake City, scrap for them but wonderful to play with. Machining was surprisingly dirty with carbon but roughing it with a mill and file gets you close so you don't have to work as much. Have small goals, if not the boredom will cause you go insane. Also skip the Prussian blue, invest in a pint of cannode Blue and yellow. The contrasting colors will help you determine where to remove material. Been there with the Prussian blue, it was a mess that does not clean up easy or quick. The Cannode is water soluble and much easier on the skin and clothes. You also want a good brayer, it also makes life easier and is not very expensive. I am still new at this but I found that trying things and letting people know what works and why may save someone else time later. Tim

thanks for the suggestions guys

im planning on getting the dykem hyspot paste from mcmaster sinces its cheap and easy to get

i cant seem to find the cannode anywhere thats less than $30..I wish someone sold it in small qty on ebay with USPS shipping..hey thats an idea...

imma try and make a 123 block, or perhaps just a flat surface at first, on some cast iron..

so I suppose that means I need a block of cast iron...I can mill it flat then go from there?

Look at the blog I have posted on my profile scraping instructions if you do not know them already.

A 90* angle plate would be a great start, I actually have one I've been scraping lately. Thread on it here.

astjb2, is correct about CI. Depends on how good you are at scrounging and you local resources.

Have a good time, and be prepared to turn your 1/2/3 into a .5/1/1.5. Is also useful.

Daryl
MN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have yet to see 1-2-3 blocks made of anything but hardened steel, so not so good to scrape. Start with a cast iron block of some sort that is smaller than your surface plate, and learn to scrape on that before taking on something larger or more complicated.

good points,
i thought import 25x75x100mm blocks were often softer and could be scraped.
thanks for the clarification.

Boy, I see you on that one! My dadgum import vices and hydraulic press plates are all that soft cast iron stuff. Pretty much expect it now on any import, my typical knee-jerk reaction.

I have a 4" import drill press vice that could use some scraping. If you were nearby it would be on your bench today...

Back