I picked up a few machines.

Regarding the QCTP..... Most likely you will need an AXA size tool post, but you will need to measure to be sure.

If you scroll down on the page in the link below, you can see how to measure your lathe to insure you order the correct size QCTP. The Important Dimension is is the distance from the Centerline of your Lathe, to the Top Surface of your Compound. That will determine the Size of the QCTP. Too Big and you won't be able to lower the tool holders enough to center the tool with the centerline of the lathe. Too Small, and you won't be able to raise the tool holders enough.

http://www.shars.com/products/toolh...quick-change-tool-post-set-wedge-type-111-axa
axatoolpost_dimension.jpg
Caution with the 0.6" dimension listed for "H". As others have mentioned in other posts, it would require a very thin tool because of the inherent thickness of the bottom of the tool holder. I'd say on the order of 0.8"+ to 1.75" maybe be a safer range.

I personally use a Phase II QCTP. I've found them to be a bit more consistent regarding quality than the Unbranded Clones. I purchased a new set that included 5 tool holders, on eBay for ~$200.

From the picture of you Lathe, I can't tell how your current tool post is mounted. There is a high likely hood you will need to do some machining to mount the QCTP to your compound. In my case, my compound had a large treaded hole, much larger than the post/stud for the QCTP. I ended machining a double treaded bushing, that screwed into my Compound, and which the post/stud of my QCTP screwed into it. Other Compounds have Large T-Slots, to which the mounting base of the QCTP is machined to fit.

Re tool bits: quarter inch M42 or cobalt HSS. Anything bigger is both overkill and too expensive for that machine. Even 3/16 square is big enough, but quarter is cheap, widely available, and plenty large.

In a tangential holder (just search the forum on that). A tangential only requires grinding on one face, with a fixture- eliminates all the magical stuff about grinding 3 angles at once.

And, yes, do bolt it down (and level).

Thanks for all the great input fellas. I'm out of town working for another 3 weeks and can't hardly wait to get back home and get started making chips.

Back