I ordered a PM-940M-PDF

Dan_S

Active User
Registered
It won't be my first mill, but it will be my first new mill, so fair warning I'm sure I will have a few questions. Besides the basic mill I got the hardened table & ways option, and a 4" Homge vise. Even before I placed my order with Ray, I started ordering some accessories, If I can get out from under my Christmas present making duties, I'll take some pictures and post them.

Congrats Dan! :)

In talking to Matt, this mill you are getting is very similar to my 9x39 (rounding down, the table length on mine is 39.5) and we can compare notes when you get it. Is this mill going to be black like my Charter Oak? Other than the obligatory fitment/install warts common of these Chinese machines I am very happy with mine. It's a bit larger than my PM25. :D

Congrats Dan! :)

In talking to Matt, this mill you are getting is very similar to my 9x39 (rounding down, the table length on mine is 39.5) and we can compare notes when you get it. Is this mill going to be black like my Charter Oak?

From my conversation with Ray, and what I found on the website, It's basically a re-designed & enlarged 932. It must of been a substantial design change as well, because the head is different, and it has more travel in all 3 axis's, and an extra 200 pounds of iron to go with it.

To me the big selling points where the extra y travel, and the option to get a hardened bed and ways.

IMO a good move for Matt and QMT!

The complaint I hear repeatedly on the RF45 clones... is the short Y travel. Sounds like that has been fixed on this machine...

I notice also that the max weight on the table has been raised from 300# to 400#... that represents a bit more beef in the mill table... always a good thing to have more beef in the castings.

Now for a 2HP or even 3HP head... and it would be a serious game changer in the RF45 clone market.

Now for a 2HP or even 3HP head... and it would be a serious game changer in the RF45 clone market.

I don't think the machine is rigid enough to really utilize 2+ hp. 3 hp puts you into the Wells Index, and small K&T ballpark. If Matt was taking suggestions, I'd recommend he drop the complexity of the gear head and go the brushless dc motor and pulley route like he did on the new pm25s. If that could be coupled with bearings that could get you into the 4k rpm range, he would have a pretty serious home shop machine.

My max spindle speed will be in the 5k range with the belt drive conversion.

I can find out the specific ones for you if you want, but I'm fairly sure it was NSKs that Charter Oak put in when they installed the 3hp VFD conversion. Paul says they will go to 7k, but will run all day long at 5k. :)

I can find out the specific ones for you if you want, but I'm fairly sure it was NSKs that Charter Oak put in when they installed the 3hp VFD conversion.

I'd be interested in knowing, because when I looked as bearings of the correct size (30 - 35mm) for a rf45 clone, They wore super expensive if they had a decent precision rating and could take some real load.

Congrats!!!
That looks like THE Xmas present to me!
If you have it up and running and are in a great mood, I'd love to come and see that beauty! PWEEEEEZE?
I'll shave AND take a shower! Scouts honor! :congratulations:

John

Back