I need to get my mill off of the pallet

Thank you for the replies, Jim the pictures are great, very helpful, nice project for the new table.

While this method is obviously not workable, I had the same damn thought:grin big::grin big:

There was a steeple jack in the UK during the 1970's who got hired to knock down a lot of the old Victorian-era industrial chimneys. He did exactly that: started removing bricks around one side of the chimney at ground level. As he went, he'd shore up the vacant areas with heavy timbers. When he got to just under hallway round, he filled the bottom of the whole affair with rubber tires (tyres) and set them ablaze. Tires ignited timbers, timbers burned through, smokestack fell over. Simple!

-frank

I kinda want it to land on it's feet, without the tipping maneuver.

I cut the pallet under mine with a reciprocating saw so that I could get the hoist into position. Piece of cake after that.
To get the height right and get some mobility I built a base and added these casters:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I2JH81U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The casters are a little pricey but I have been very pleased with them. They are stable and allow to easily move the mill on the rare occasion that I need to.

IMG_2535.JPG IMG_2536.JPG IMG_2561.JPG
IMG_2527.JPG

When my mill was delivered it was boxed, and on a sturdy pallet. My friend and I were able to move it into the side of my garage between a fridge, and compressor. It has been left on the pallet because I liked the height, and basically I don't have an easy way to lift it off. This is a Grizzly G0755 with their stand. Do I need to put leveling feet on it, or will tramming the head to the table be enough? I'm going over this with myself, and I can't tell witch one of my selves is the smart one. Thank you

I had the same problem I drilled and tapped a 1/2 inch hole in the middle of my column and used an eye bolt. ( more than likely voiding the warranty ) then used an engine hoist to put it in place on a stand. Went through a 6 pack of beer right after that , just To calm my my nerves. It worked, and I Did it myself (I just turned 60) . So there ;)~ dawner

You da man...:eagerness: Won't be drilling though:)

Back