I need to get my mill off of the pallet

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
When my mill was delivered it was boxed, and on a sturdy pallet. My friend and I were able to move it into the side of my garage between a fridge, and compressor. It has been left on the pallet because I liked the height, and basically I don't have an easy way to lift it off. This is a Grizzly G0755 with their stand. Do I need to put leveling feet on it, or will tramming the head to the table be enough? I'm going over this with myself, and I can't tell witch one of my selves is the smart one. Thank you

Engine Hoist will take care of the lifting. If you don't own one, you can find them on craiglist used frequently or snag one at harbor freight or rent one for a half day at rental company. Even a cheapo HF one is useful and handy for lifting, just don't use them at full rating, your mill should easily be handled by a 1 or 2 ton hoist.

I have one just not sure where to lift from, and still wondering about the tramming.

Agree with Mike - an engine hoist is the simplest way to go.

You don't need to get the stand dead level but it doesn't hurt. Most surfaces are not really level so some method of leveling is helpful. If you are going to leave it one place then just get some machine pads and use bolts. If you might have to move it then leveling casters are really nice; I use Carrymaster casters for just this purpose.

Edit: just saw your pics. Use straps under the head and lift it just enough to get the pallet out. I don't have a mill like yours but most benchtop mills are trammed by shimming under the base of the column.

I made a steel plate with for 2 in tube legs and have my Bridgeport about 5 in. off the ground. I like it and I can move it with a pallet jack at any time.

Leave it on the pallet as it makes easy moving when you get a pallet jack....Once you have one of those you will regret not having one.

The existing pallet is designed to support the machine for shipping from factory to you so good to go.

Our bp us on a pallet but nota very good one....will change someday...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Great mill!
I have attached a couple of shots to see how we did it.
I cut the pallet down to fit between the legs of the engine hoist and then made up lifting cables from 1/4" cable.
There are holes in the side of the base to put rids through and hook the cables to them.
Just lift high enough to take the weight off then slowly move.
The third shot is the supports I put on after the first six months. The stand is too short for me and I was always bent over.
I used hockey pucks and round steel plates with adjusting screws for the leveling feet.
Good luck with the install.
Jim

20130427_155018.jpg 20130428_140002.jpg

IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0008.JPG

I'm another hockey puck user. My RF-45 is on a angle iron frame with four heavy cast iron castors. The frame is underslung, castors on the side, I didn't need much of an extra lift, and it gives a wider, more stable track. When it rolls to a new bigger shop. Instead of a plate I dimpled the puck with a 5/8" ball mill . I turned down the end of 3/4" redi-rod to 5/8" and used a shaping tool bit to round the end. The pucks sit directly on the concrete and the redi-rod adjusts for leveling and lifting off the castors.

The lift holes in the stand are awesome aren't they. I used a straight pick and pair of farm jacks to lift my lathe (2000lbs) on and off furniture dollies to move it with those holes.

Back