I need to de-gunk a R/C aircraft engine

joebiplane

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just pulled down a Reno Racer from my mis-spent youth at the R/C Flying field ...It has been stored for about 20 years. It was never preped for storage....just hung up. The engine is a Groupner wankle and It turns over but R E A L L Y S L O o O W. I want to soak it but it will take ,at least, a full pint of fluid to submerge it. I have lot's of time and little money so what Potion would you recomend
BTW the engine ran on Methanol and Caster oil thats what's gumming it Up. What's your recomendation Alcohol or penetratinl oil of some Witches brew ????
Thanks

LOL. Buying Acetone in quantity now will have the DEA following you home. ;D

A few days ago at Menards I picked up a couple spray cans of Brake Cleaner for $1.49. 8) Break Cleaner is primarily acetone with a couple other solvents added. It will clear that old gum out in short order...I've used it for just that with excellent results. I did follow up with 90 psi air to clear any remaining Cleaner residue.
Might want to wear a face shield...it is nasty in the eyes. :(

In these parts the police check on people buying more than a gallon or two as It is known to be one of the chemicals used to make methamphetamines.

Thank you all..
i went with Rubbing alcohol because i had it on hand... it worked very well... then i sprayed WD 40 inside the plug hole and the exhaust port.. i flips like new ! i see a new Graupner wankel ( Exactly the same as mine for $ 399.00 and it's in china..
thanks , again for the very fast responses
i love this place..
joe ;D

RandyC link=topic=983.msg4749#msg4749 date=1297554109 said:
Amigo link=topic=983.msg4747#msg4747 date=1297552865 said:
LOL. Buying Acetone in quantity now will have the DEA following you home. ;D

Don't know what buying "in quantity" constitutes but acetone is readily available in gallon containers, even online, although the price is higher than I recall (about $10/gallon now). Can be found in the paint department of any hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot and so forth ...

Useful stuff to have around, a very workable solvent for many household applications. As a kid, I was interested in R/C airplanes and acetone was the solvent of choice for cleaning two-stroke engines. (Less expensive and also useful for these types of applications is denatured alcohol - also available from paint departments.)

Cheers,
Randy C

$18.00 a gallon at Lowes here.

Pat

Last edited by a moderator:
Crockpot Cooking 101.

As a builder and engine collector this is an ongoing thing. The easiest way to get the burnt Castor Oil or Synthetic oil off these engines is with Auto Anti-Freeze and a Crock Pot.

Crock Pots can be found for this use at most any Tag Sale. Use only AF for Aluminum Radiators.

The procedure is simple. Put the AF in the crock pot, enough to cover the engine completely. put the engine in and set the crockpot to medium heat. Put the lid on and come back tomorrow morning. You will see all the crud floating on top. Clean this off and with a pair of tongs take the engine out. Place it on a rag and let it cool enough to handle. Rinse it off with WD40 or equivilent and you have a nice clean engine. If you are not going to run it right away I would suggest a little after run oil inside.

"Billy G" :whistle:

Chevron also sells a degunking solution but it primarily for exterior engine clean up. Billy has the good poop on it though. If you have access to a ultra-sonic jewelry cleaner those work too.
Bob

Buy the fuel you plan on using to run the engine, pour it in a can, put the engine in it, cover the can to prevent evaporation and let it soak over night. If you use acetone or other industrial cleaners, you take a chance of destroying the o-rings and seals in the engine. Then after you have sufficiently freed up your engine, dump the fuel back in the can and use it to go flying.

Many of us R/Cers use Marvel Mystery Air Tool Oil for an "after run oil" (used after cleaning for short or long term storage) since it protects the engine well and is readily available in small bottles at your local Northern Tool store. You don't need to remove the oil before running the engine again.

You may already have some in the shop.

Harvey

I have been having very good luck cleaning up some awfully gunked up parts with a cheapo Harbor Freight ultrasonic washer. I use solvents to get the worst of it off, and then finish it in hot water and whatever diluted solvent/detergent is best suited to the task. I've been pretty amazed at the results, most especially with a handful of ancient oil cups.

Cheers!

Chandos

Back