I need something, but I don't know what. Holding round 1/8" shafts in a carry case.

RaisedByWolves

Mangler of grammar, off my meds.
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Working on making a box to hold my helping hands and keep everything organized and Im, down to this detail.

I want some kind of clip, metal or plastic but everything I turn up is either automotive or office related.

I need something similar to this.

1710369192857.png

But small enough to hold an 1/8" shank like shown on the dogbone on the right side of this pic.

1710369282873.png

If you can't find it, make it.

Had you looked at wire fixings? R/C fuel hose mounts? Bicycle cable grips?

You need to find where to get the clips that go in miniature fuse blocks:

IMG_6831.jpeg
Back in the day I would say Allied, but now who knows. Maybe Ali?

EDIT: Or Amazon:

IMG_6832.jpeg

OK, 5mm not 3.175, but can tweak them.

Last edited:
It's gonna be hard to be like that clip at an eighth of an inch. If you scaled one of those clips, the screw diameter needed is gonna be something like 20 thousandths of an inch...

I can't picture what you're building so I might be smoking crack again, but could you do something like this, with "U-groove" supports, and let the lid lock everything in? Kinda like this, except shaped for your stuff instead of a random depth mic off of the internet?

do something like this, with "U-groove" supports, and let the lid lock everything in?

I like this idea; one could also make the lining compliant, to hold tools without a lid.

3D printed in PETG. Really need to do a 2nd revision
IMG_5350.jpeg

I have used rubber, silicone fuel tubing (model plane), and other soft foam to make holders.
rubber or fuel tubing can be glued to a u holder side in a drilled slot (drill first then make slot) it offers pressure to keep it held in. It's the glue that becomes the issue. You need something that bonds to it. rubber cement, silicone caulk, rubber pliable CA.

closed cell soft foam (think pipe tubing type) or expensive packing for electronics, I just cut slits in, or I drill first, then cut a slit to it. I use brass tubes sharpened with teeth or smooth as the drills.

Back