MON I Need some Monarch info Help

BeGood

Registered
Registered
Hello
I am just starting out getting some equipment. Im retired and I just found a beautiful 10 EE. I need to know what you think about learning on this lathe.

Thank you for any help..

Cal, He wants 3500. It looks new, the guy selling it looks about 85 to 90 and he said he retired 25 years ago and he just stored this in his shop. He also said he didn't use it as much as he did his other lathe that still looks new. 00Q0Q_6WSsDZpoIjS_600x450.jpg00V0V_3f3s6YDePFj_600x450.jpg00505_73Sg557AjWs_600x450.jpg00u0u_l6CYRkegDtT_600x450.jpg

lathe.jpg lathe2.jpg lathe3.jpg 00Q0Q_6WSsDZpoIjS_600x450.jpg 00V0V_3f3s6YDePFj_600x450.jpg 00505_73Sg557AjWs_600x450.jpg 00u0u_l6CYRkegDtT_600x450.jpg

Can he demonstrate it for you under power? What tooling is included?

Cal

As far as learning goes, I think that would be a great lathe to learn on. Not sure about the value. I just don't know what these are going for, you'll have to check around for pricing, and see how much tooling comes with it. It looks really clean, and well cared for in the pictures. If it looks good up close, and the price is right, then go for it.

He told me he would run it and he told me to bring someone with me but I don't have anyone to go. Do you think 3500 might be to much. I live in Visalia Ca..
I want it but I don't want to go off just looks.

He told me he would run it and he told me to bring someone with me but I don't have anyone to go. Do you think 3500 might be to much. I live in Visalia Ca..
I want it but I don't want to go off just looks.

I just did a web search, and the going price seems to be around $4500, so for $3500 it is on the low end of the range. I guess the best way to check it out is to make sure it powers up, check all of the functions, and run it through all of the speeds. Listen for any clunking noises. Visually inspect the ways, if they are smooth there is normally not a lot of wear. Check the back lash on the compound and the cross slide. I would consider 0.050 backlash acceptable, in a used machine. Close the half nuts and check the lash there by trying to move the carriage back and forth. I would expect some. Look at the lead screw, compare the threads on the right end with the threads in the middle where it is normally used, if they look pretty much the same then the lead screw is not excessively worn. Also look for evidence of the compound crashing into the chuck, this normally shows up as chipped edges on the compound. A heavy crash could mean a bent spindle. Put a piece of ground stock in the chuck and check the runout with a dial indicator. I would expect a good 3 jaw chick to have <0.005 runout. This would not be a show stopper, chucks can be reground.

I hope this helps.

Thank you Jim, I am going tomorrow. It seems this guy is a nice guy. Old WWll B-17 gunner. He is very pround of his equipment and his service to America. Wish there were more younger people like him. If it seems like a good machine, I think Ill buy them regardless. I think he has some things he wants to take care of, and need to sale them. Thanks again Jim.

My pleasure. I'll bet if you ask the seller, he'll be happy to show you how to check out a lathe, and show you how to run it. Some of the B-17 stories should be interesting too!!

Man if that lathe was 500 miles closer, Id be trying to talk you out of it.
I have wanted a 10ee for loooong while now.
My day will come!

Jake Parker

Back