I Need Some Cutting Tools

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I plan to learn how to cut my own tools in the future but I need some cutting tools to get started. I'd like to buy some HSS pre ground bits. Probably 3/8"? I've done some searching but haven't found a good source yet.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

I agree whole heartedly with Mr. Dawson. get a grinder, some HSS tool blanks, find some descriptive pictures or a tutorial on the internet and grind a bit. You will actually learn very quickly what will cut and what not to do very quickly. I was in the same boat a year or so ago, Now I have enough confidence to at least try to grind something that will work. I gleaned enough info from this wonderful site and asked a few questions of older machinists to succeed.

Another good source is estate sales and the like. You have a good chance of getting a bunch of HSS bits, many of which will be ground already and useable. Then you have a good example of the shapes and angles needed that you can touch and look at directly while you grind your own.
Good luck and keep the questions coming!

Even if you get lathe bits already ground you'll want to be able to sharpen them. I made a gauge from the below illustrations from South Bend.

lathe gage 1.jpg lathe gage 2.jpg

I rough out my bits on a bench grinder and use a small Harbor Freight mini grinder to finish and sharpen them. It is inexpensive and not at all intimidating.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-mini-tool-grinder-polisher-94071.html

I adapted it so I could set an angle to grind.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...in-your-shop-today.14637/page-247#post-400293

The sources Jim listed seem to fit what you need. Go ahead and order a couple of blank bits as well. I'm sure you'll get the hang of grinding them.

Thanks for the responses.
Are 1/4" okay or are they more for small lathes? Mine is a 13x40.

Duane,
Tried and True in Fridley MN purchased lunch for HM group that met at my place last summer.
They've got a nice selection of HSS and carbide cutters. Perhaps some holders. And heaps of other cool stuff.
Paul and the gang are good and honest people.
I'm guessing they will sell you significantly less than new price on new unground blanks.
Even less for used items, which is evidently what you are looking for.
Their phone number is: 763-574-0407.
Additionally, I may have some HSS and/or carbide tool holders for you at the right price depending on the size you need.

Daryl
MN

I hand ground a carbide insert today, of the 100 or so tools that I have to use not one would do the job.

A 14 Deg. bore starting at 1.417" Dia. ending at 0 Dia. ,177 deep, basically a very shallow cone, it looks like this.
akerqart_zpsa6wngkii.jpg

I did the part in red, also this part is a steel rectangle so I held it in a 4 jaw chuck, the tapered sides and radii will be done in a mill tomorrow, good luck to that guy.

I plan on heading up there next Tuesday.
Duane,
Tried and True in Fridley MN purchased lunch for HM group that met at my place last summer.
They've got a nice selection of HSS and carbide cutters. Perhaps some holders. And heaps of other cool stuff.
Paul and the gang are good and honest people.
I'm guessing they will sell you significantly less than new price on new unground blanks.
Even less for used items, which is evidently what you are looking for.
Their phone number is: 763-574-0407.
Additionally, I may have some HSS and/or carbide tool holders for you at the right price depending on the size you need.

Daryl
MN

Back