I Need Help Selecting A Better Wheel

G

gapi

Forum Guest
Register Today
I sharpen paper & string cutting knives ans use the two wheels shown below. The knives range in size from 1/2" x 1-1/2"x 3/16" to a little longer.

I need to cut in .001" passes and keep having to resurface the wheels often.
I used to have a white rock that held up better,
We use an old Do ALL grinder.

Can you recommend?
surface_grinderwheel_01.jpg
surface_grinderwheel_02.jpg

.001" is a lot per pass on hardened steel. For hard steels you want a soft wheel, so it breaks down and reveals new sharp abrasive. Too much material per pass and your wheel breaks down at a higher than normal rate, especially if you're plunging not stepping over and using the shoulder of the wheel. Maybe try reducing your DOC to .0005" or less per pass to hold a dress and make due with these wheels. Are you using coolant?

Norton recommends an $80 wheel for what you want to grind....... 5SG60-JVS if you're wondering.

Maybe you can find your old wheel and get a new one that's similar? I don't know enough about grinding to recommend you a wheel.

Thanks. I'll be contacting Norton I guess with ore details on the application.

I got my wheels to grind my HSS tooling here. Very nice wheels and their prices are good.

Thanks. I'll be contacting Norton I guess with ore details on the application.

That's a very good idea. Despite the fact that they were bought by St. Gobains, Norton remains a real old line company with good customer service and more knowledge about grinding than anybody in the world I'd bet.

Thanks, Norton put me onto a good wheel. I'll reply back after getting a model number next week.

Back