I need a splined bushing.

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I bought an expensive door stop, it's a Volstro rotary milling head that I thought would bolt up, but it needs a splined bushing to fit in an R8 collet to drive the head. I'm not having much luck with my search terms for finding one, thank you for any help.
.586 14 spline

Looks similar to input shaft on trans. Maybe a clutch disc of some sort would fit. Modify to your specs.

I found a bushing on line, 14T 12/24 SAE, but I don't know what that means.

They look straight cut, as do most. Take a shot at pitch diameter, or something just over minor with PeeDee wires. Then try Martin or Browning Gear, also there are companies manufacturing splined shafting, like sliding head drill presses use. Seems slam-dunk they'd handle compatible bushings.
Pasted that designation into google 14 12/24, may be a lead, or winding trail.

Volstro plant? https://www.dandb.com/businessdirectory/volstromanufacturingcompany-langhorne-pa-13213153.html

But here's a manual; http://ed-home.dyndns.info:65484/Vo...ad/Volstro_III_Rotary_Milling_Head_Manual.pdf
Some folks connect Volstro now with H-V..... I'm sure that'll be the guys producing Bridgeport parts

It'd be somewhat a challenge, but you could gauge it carefully and make a bit, index the part and internal shape it, or with better dimensions make a broach. I'd start with operation manual for exact part name/ number and search that specific term.

Last edited:
I have one. I use it with my Volstro shaper head. It is 7/8" OD. If I replaced the shaft in the Volstro head I would no longer need the splined sleeve. What is the sleeve worth to you?

What does it cost to replace the shaft?

I sent you a message....

Make a split bushing to adapt the OD of the splined shaft to a standard collet ID.

A Volstro head is for light milling. The splined shaft/bushing seems like extreme over design.

Leave the Volstro quill clamp loose until the R8 drawbar is tightened so the drawbar isn't trying to pull the shaft up out of the housing.

That's a good thought.

Back