I Need A Knife Made For My Wife

Subsequent to my request, we did some research. I watched what she did and realized that a slender handle is best, she holds the knife like a pencil. We have a Cutco paring knife (no serrations) that has a 2 3/4" blade. most of the cutting is done with the end 3/4 of an inch, the very end of the blade. The cast shape of the handle fits her hand fairly well, so we're going with that as long as she can hold it. I can keep it quite sharp, its a good steel, though not HHS quality.
Thanks for remembering us.

Would she consider getting a leather cuff or glove to hold the knife ? With Velcro or snaps . It would be like a reverse sheath. Comfort for her the blade could be moved with arm or wrist movements with out gripping the handle. I could try to make her one with a couple measurements.

She wouldn't have the patience to put it on/take it off. We're getting along OK now. It took me quite a while to convince her that dull serrations were still dull.

Thanks for the offer, though.

2nd vote for modifying an existing knife. A good 5 inch Japanese petty or steak knife with a "wa" handle can be re handled easily enough with whatever size you need. You can turn a round, grooved handle on the lathe or do a straight or tapered octagon. D shaped handle are popular too. Petty much any handle shape you can come up with can be burned and glued onto that tang and a carbon Japanese petty can cut through food like crazy if you maintain it well.

Back