I Need A Day With A Local Mentor, Orlando

Olddaddy

Registered
Registered
I am a reasonably competent fabricator who has bought himself a lathe, a Craftsman 12 X 36. I've made some progress and can actually use the lathe for my intended purpose, but I don't know if I am doing it right or wrong. I could use a day with someone who knows what they are doing to help me determine the right way to do what I need to do which is making some steel spacers. There are two types, both require facing, boring, and parting to size.......same procedure for some bronze bushings, and then we can look at the boxes of parts that came with the lathe and you can tell me what some of this stuff is and what it does! Near Orlando, just south of Disney on I-4 at Hwy 27. My wife makes a mean lunch!!!

Last edited:
Wish I could help ya.

Have you read the beginners or the Craftsman forums to see if they may answer your questions?

Anything in particular you need direction on? Lotsa lathe guys here, me included, that may be of help. I understand, I learn by watching, doing and asking questions to someone.

I'm in Homosassa, you're not too far out from here. This coming (Saturday after Thanksgiving) I'm busy with a few things, and the following Saturday (the 5th) I'm busy, but I have nothing planned the 12th. I'm no machinist, but I at least have all my fingers and both eyes. :) Does that work?

Uh.... I can neither confirm, nor deny that I was operating a riding lawn mower whilst chugging No 7 Sour Mash Whiskey and operating a .45 caliber revolver.....

Some pocket gophers may or may not have been greviously injured while taking that photo.....
:devil:

Bwahahaha, didn't see the side arm..revolver? Blackpowder? You cool in my book.

Gents, I have been reading the various forums since finding HM and realizing it is the best machining forum bar none!
I have read through the MOLO for Craftsman lathes and "How to run lathes" which both gave me good beginners advice. My experience is that a good Mentor can short cut a lot of trial and error and give me the confidence I need to make parts that I am going to be selling as part of my disc brake kits. One other item is to identify some of the many pieces and parts that came along with the lathe.

Ogberi, I am located between Orlando and Lakeland, near Hwy 27 just off I-4. When we get closer we can decide if you open date still works. We appear to have much in common, whiskey-firearms-orange tractors and lathes! Thanks for the reply, hope we can meet sometime soon.

image.jpg

Back