I need a 5/8" tool holder for my Sherline Mill?

Brad West

Registered
Registered
I can only find up to a 1/2" tool holder? Anyone know where I can get or how to adapt to a 5/8" tool holder for a Sherline? Thanks!

Have you got a mill, If so make one out of mild steel or alum. I made some out of ALUM Then used the T nut off a sherline one and got me a bolt/screw to fit. Just got a few Cap screws to hold the bit. Even made a rocker type

Several options:
  • Buy a blank end mill holder from Sherline, bore it and tap the side for a set screw.
  • Bore an existing end mill holder.
  • Make an endmill holder on your lathe.
  • Buy a Beall Tools ER-32 chuck and hold it with a 5/8" collet. This is the most accurate and flexible of your options.
By the way, a 5/8" end mill is honking big end mill for a Sherline lathe. What are you doing that requires that large a cutter? That tool is almost as large as the spindle and will generate a lot of cutting force so I'm just curious.

Hey wait a second.... why haven't I built a 3/8's end mill holder for my lathe?!

That would make my life a little easier!

Thanks for the idea!

Hey wait a second.... why haven't I built a 3/8's end mill holder for my lathe?!

That would make my life a little easier!

Thanks for the idea!

The real question is, why don't you own a Beall ER-32 chuck?

Several options:
  • Buy a blank end mill holder from Sherline, bore it and tap the side for a set screw.
  • Bore an existing end mill holder.
  • Make an endmill holder on your lathe.
  • Buy a Beall Tools ER-32 chuck and hold it with a 5/8" collet. This is the most accurate and flexible of your options.
By the way, a 5/8" end mill is honking big end mill for a Sherline lathe. What are you doing that requires that large a cutter? That tool is almost as large as the spindle and will generate a lot of cutting force so I'm just curious.

I'm not using and end mill, I am using a Rotary Broach. I finally got a blank end mill holder from Sherline and made one. The holder and Rotary Broach work Great. I'm new to machining and Sherline, so I did not know that a Beall Tools ER32 chuck would work with a Sherline, but I will be buying one. As I said, I'm new to this and would Love to find out what works with a Sherline Mill and Lathe that is not a Sherline product. I have bought about every accessory Sherline makes for the Mill and Lathe, so always looking for something new to pick up. I have the 5800 mill and 4400 Lathe. I am currently just making bit drivers, Knife lanyard beads and bit holders/storage plates and giving them away, yep, giving them away to whomever I think would like them. I'm just having fun with the mill and Lathe, they are Great! Thanks guys and if you think you could use a bit driver, let me know and I'll make you one and send it to you! I have a long, long waiting list, about 3 people LOL!!!

Gentlemen, if you buy a Beall chuck, be sure you tell them that it will go on a Sherline lathe/mill. They also sell one to fit a Taig and the spindle register is different for a Taig. Beall will know which one you need.

Buy decent ER collets because it makes a difference. The kit comes with 5 ER collets that are fine for the lathe but if you need better accuracy on the mill for tool holding then Techniks collets are much better. They cost more but they will pay you back in lower run out, finer finishes and greater accuracy.

Of all the tools I've made or have for the Sherline lathe, the two most useful are a rear mounted tool post and a graver tool rest. To me, both are indispensable for a Sherline owner. There are many tools to make but the rear mounted parting tool is a MUST HAVE.

Gentlemen, if you buy a Beall chuck, be sure you tell them that it will go on a Sherline lathe/mill. They also sell one to fit a Taig and the spindle register is different for a Taig. Beall will know which one you need.

Buy decent ER collets because it makes a difference. The kit comes with 5 ER collets that are fine for the lathe but if you need better accuracy on the mill for tool holding then Techniks collets are much better. They cost more but they will pay you back in lower run out, finer finishes and greater accuracy.

Of all the tools I've made or have for the Sherline lathe, the two most useful are a rear mounted tool post and a graver tool rest. To me, both are indispensable for a Sherline owner. There are many tools to make but the rear mounted parting tool is a MUST HAVE.

Mikey, can you point me to a technics collet set that compatible with the mill?

Thanks in advance, i appreciate all the advice you've shared and direction you've given to noobs.

Mikey, can you point me to a technics collet set that compatible with the mill?

Thanks in advance, i appreciate all the advice you've shared and direction you've given to noobs.

Thanks for the kind words.

Techniks collets aren't cheap. Their 18 piece set is a good one and some crazy retailers think they're made of gold. The best price for new ones is near $200.00, such as this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Techniks-ER...852537&hash=item1c739c5d8f:g:FxkAAOSwA3dYEKrl

You can find used ones for less but have a care if you need Imperial collets. Some sellers just say ER collets and don't tell you they're metric. Most of the tooling we use in the US will be Imperial so that is what I would recommend. These collets are expensive but with a good nut and when tightened down correctly, they are quite accurate. This leads to better finishes, finer tolerances in your cuts and longer tool life. For me, spending money on good collets is the cheapest way to go.

Hope this helps.

Back