I made some wooden gears a while back.

B

BRIAN

Forum Guest
Register Today
WOOD IS GOOD

Hi Shadow
I am very interested in making a wooden clock after I have finished the wall clock in brass, that is my current project.
I have been looking around for plans and am considering milling the gears as normal. I have done trials and found i can get a clean cut at about 1500 rpm if the feed is low. and the wood is well supported.. Always looking to the next one.
REGARDS BRIAN.

Here in Pittsburgh, PA we have a incline cable car that runs all the time up and down the mountain, and it's drive gears are made of wood for at least 60 plus years that I know of. The gears are about 6 ft. dia. or more, don't remember since I last looked at them. There are 2 cars, one up one down, and each car holds maybe 10 people. So I would think you could make a machine to run on wood gears, or maybe a lathe (haha)?
Paul

I .think making a BIG clock is a grest notion. if you cant find plans simply scale up one you like Its ok to do but the pendulum
length cannot be changed. Just had a thought if you want to see the pendulum build it upside down with the escapement at the bottom

That really Cool shadow thanks for sharing hope to see more.

Paul

Cool videos.

For those that may want to generate templates for wooden gears, here is a link to a fairly robust program:

http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html

Using the online option, you can generate whatever gears you need and print them off. If you buy the downloadable version, it is much more powerful and can generate several additional types of gears.

Brian
Taxachusetts

Back