I made a pair of DCMT Carbide Insert holders

the best tools are the ones you make yourself!
very nice toolholders!
don't sell yourself short, you can learn to braze toolbits in a few hours of practicing
you put the time in to program the cnc, you can braze if you have the will!
Its on the list. The exceedingly long and outrageous list...

What do you mean about the shim for the insert? There's only a small amount unsupported, I don't anticipate the insert snapping. I think the next iteration will have it sitting further in. Brazing is a little beyond my capabilities, but that does sound like an easy way to make insert tooling if you know how to do it.
Many of the insert style tool bits use shim which is to support the carbide, it's to help to keep it stabilized in the holder. The tool holder itself will flex when cutting . But with only light cuts you reduce the force created by the down pressure when cutting.

I made some more inserts and did some testing hoping to find a failure point. I didn't find it.

Using the holders I:
-Squared up a rusted steel rectangular bar of unknown composition. No trouble with interrupted cut.
-Cleaned up a 12"x1.75" rusted steel cylinder of unknown composition. No trouble.
-Cleaned up and faced a 4.5"ish cylinder. No trouble.
-Turned a piece of 304 Stainless. No trouble.
-Turned a piece of titanium. No trouble.
-Cut the shank of a broken HSS end mill. Ugly and loud cut, but it cut.

At this point I have no question about the rigidity of the aluminum tool holders. The question will be how long it lasts, both threads and insert pocket. Anyway, have some pictures.

Here is the 12" bar before cleaning it up.
MAVmjuU.jpg

Here is the finish it left. The finish of my toolholder is the left side, the finish on the right was left by a factory triangular insert holder. I was surprised that mine performed better than a factory insert holder. The insert in the factory holder was new, the one in my holder had been used briefly already.
SfIgvv2.jpg

Here is the larger cylinder scrap before cleaning up.
dLjTEtO.jpg

Here it is after cleaning it. Looks kinda like a collet chuck right?
4mngr1J.jpg

Here it is cutting 304 Stainless.
yEKmc0y.jpg

Here are the results of titanium.
CzPT6qd.jpg

Here is the HSS shank it cut.
amLkKNI.jpg

Here are the other holders I made, fresh off the mill.
e0LfsBl.jpg

Nice I see you made a few extras you can never have to many.

Back