I have one for Nelson

Yup! laugh.gif

The answer I found was 14 pages long! But at least now I know... beerchug.gif

laugh.gif

beerchug.gif

laugh.gif

beerchug.gif

There's a difference? I won't google it, especially if the answer is 14 pages long!

I'll just wait till the average joe answer is posted :)

Im gonna take a completely amateur shot at this, and say: A Fixture will be secured to a tool or bench, and work with a tool (a diamond dresser Fixture for a surface grinder). A Jig will hold items/material in position to be machined, welded, or measured in order to make the process faster with better repeatebility ( a frame Jig for a bicycle). Just a guess.

Mark

Your not being politically correct, I was working up north about 25 years ago and you could use Jig to describe it.

The union would fine you if-n someone reported you!

Paul

Something would go IN a jig while a Fixture is something for the the tool to permit it to do the intended machining ???

if I'm correct do I win a new CNC milling set-up ???
Joe

Ah, you silly guys......a jig is what you catch Crappie with, and a fixture is where you replace light bulbs every month or so.

Anyone heard from Nelson the last day or two?

Tony Wells said:
Ah, you silly guys......a jig is what you catch Crappie with, and a fixture is where you replace light bulbs every month or so.

Hey 4R8, you out there. That answer was from your better than average Tony. Will that do? LOL
Fact of the matter is I guess it depends on who you are talking to which is which. The differance has been discussed for many years now and will probably go on long after we are gone.
Well done people, well done.

"Bill Gruby"

Now we're talking, Although we don't get this "Crappie" in Oz

I also get the fancy machinist definition difference and can see why there is can easily be discrepancies. It'd definitely serve for some good debates with those "stuck in their ways"

Back