I Guess I Got A Little Carried Away...now What?

Hopefully, he has already made up his mind in the last year and a half. ;) Would be interesting to know what he decided to do, though.

Tom

1938 EE is a Sundstrom Drive I believe, Monarch gave up on them right quick and went to Motor Generator for good reason. If you can get your money out of it and get a later machine you might be miles ahead. The later machines as you may know have more swing, larger range of feeds, and while Monarch does not support the MG or tube machines anymore there are a zillion of em out there to rob parts off, not so on Sundstrom Drive.

nice collection of tools
michael

His last visit with us was April 2016, so we may not see him, or he may come back with a brand new setup to tell us about.

1938 EE is a Sundstrom Drive I believe, Monarch gave up on them right quick and went to Motor Generator for good reason. If you can get your money out of it and get a later machine you might be miles ahead. The later machines as you may know have more swing, larger range of feeds, and while Monarch does not support the MG or tube machines anymore there are a zillion of em out there to rob parts off, not so on Sundstrom Drive.

nice collection of tools
michael

Why did Monarch drop the Sundstrand drive for the motor-generator-DC Ward Leonard drive, Michael? Or maybe more to the point why didn't they use the DC drive from the beginning? After all that technology was already known.

The "standard history" (as I like to think of it) of the 10EE that's out there indicates the switch in drives was made in 1941.

And Bob/Marvin Gardens, if you are still out there, I'd be interested in the serial number of your 10EE. The "standard history" shows the serial numbers of the first 10EE's delivered were 6156 and 6207/6208.

A bit off topic, but I found this history of Sundstrand interesting: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/sundstrand-corporation-history/

David

My understanding from the one person I have talked to that has run a 1939 EE was that the Sundstrand drive had difficulty with reliability in terms of consistant torque and or speed. I know that more than one company that ran numerous 10ees would only buy MG machines as they were simple for their shop maintenance people to maintain. I believe the tube machines with their feedback loop were able to maintain better speed and torque control than the MG and that is why they went that direction. Even with very old tubes in my machine and original transformers except for one grid transformer my machine maintains very good stability up to 2300 rpm, above that I am a bit wonky but I can live with those speeds. My machine had 56000 hours on meter when it broke, who knows when.

Alex on PM is the guy who knows Sundstrand, but I don't think he shows up there anymore, I suspect he moved on to other exotic interests. Last I heard he was playing with a 1000EE dimming all the neighbors lights when he turned it on.

michael

Hi Guys.

Sorry to be away so long but time certainly has a way of getting away from me. Things have changed a bit here as far as equipment goes. The Heavy 10 and the 10EE are here. I made a mistake and stopped by a friend's machine shop. He is mostly a CNC facility but does have several manual lathes. My mistake was spending the afternoon running his Mori. In the desire to make more space, both 12" South Bends have found new homes. I regretted it almost as soon as I did it but the Axelson went to a good friend in order to make space for the Mori or Whacheon I am now looking for. At least I know where the Axelson is and can go visit it.

I did find a very nice Bridgeport variable speed mill and picked it up along with a 20"Clausing drill press, a 3D pantograph, and a 6 x 12 Boyar Schultz Challenger surface grinder. The latter was all a package deal.

I did luck out and find the correct vintage cover the 10EE was missing along with a taper attachment. I will make it a point to check in with the forum much more frequently.

Thanks for the interest and information.

Bob

Why did Monarch drop the Sundstrand drive for the motor-generator-DC Ward Leonard drive, Michael? Or maybe more to the point why didn't they use the DC drive from the beginning? After all that technology was already known.

The "standard history" (as I like to think of it) of the 10EE that's out there indicates the switch in drives was made in 1941.

And Bob/Marvin Gardens, if you are still out there, I'd be interested in the serial number of your 10EE. The "standard history" shows the serial numbers of the first 10EE's delivered were 6156 and 6207/6208.

A bit off topic, but I found this history of Sundstrand interesting: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/sundstrand-corporation-history/

David
Hi David.

Sorry to be so long in replying. I saw your post and then couldn't find it again when I had the information on my 10EE in hand. My machine is serial numbered 6872 and was built in October of 1939.

Thank you for the link to the Sunstrand information. I too found it interesting.

Regards.

Bob

Hi David.

Sorry to be so long in replying. I saw your post and then couldn't find it again when I had the information on my 10EE in hand. My machine is serial numbered 6872 and was built in October of 1939.

Thank you for the link to the Sunstrand information. I too found it interesting.

Regards.

Bob
Thank you very much for the serial number and clarifying the build year as 1939, 1938 seemed a bit early to me.
David

BTW Monarch uses a single serial number series for ALL their manual lathe models. I understand that it's not really possible for them to give an exact number of 10EE's built. This makes me think their records are filed by serial number so it would be necessary to go through ALL the records, well over 50,000, and pull out all the 10EE's for a count.

Monarch started assigning serial numbers in 1927 starting with 1000. Before that they used lot numbers where a "lot" consisted of 4-20 machines of the same model. This information is from an individual who used to work at Monarch.
David

Back