I gotta mill today

jpfabricator

Active User
Registered
I picked up a Burke millrite in Fort Worth today. :thumbzup: I got it home without any problems, but I dont know how Im gonna get it in the shop. I can get it off the trailer no problem, I got gin poles on my pick up, my problem is I have a 32" door and the mill is roughly 36" wide. Plus I got a step up of about 4" at the door. The shop is a 14"x12" retiered well shed, so using the rafters is out of the question. If ant of yall have over come a similar challenge I would be very open for advice. Thanks in advance

Hmmm, details, details. -Man I hate e'm.

I'm assuming if you take the table off, it will be narrow enough to get through the door, right? How much does it weigh?

I build a gantry in my overhead garage door and have a chain and clevis hook permanently installed. You could shore-up the door frame and put a 2x12 header over/above the doorway then use a chain hoist to get it up the 4" onto an awaiting platform that has roller bars underneath it. Pieces of 3/4" water pipe make perfect roller bars. The platform? Double-up a couple sheets of plywood. That's how I move all my big stuff into the garage.

What's the diagonal dimension of the base? It looks like you could turn it at a 45[SUP]o[/SUP] angle to the door, crank the table all the way to one end and roll the mill up to the door until the edge of the table will clear the door. Then you crank the table to the other end (into the building) and continue through the door.

I did a similar thing with my Victoria. The table, including crank rods, is 56 1/2" wide and my door is only 35". It went through easily, but only because it is a universal model and I could swivel the table 45[SUP]o[/SUP]. The base on mine is too big to go through by turning the whole mill. A manual I saw on-line makes the Burke look smaller.

When I refer to rolling the mill, I used 30" lengths of schedule 40 pipe as rollers. They were big enough to let the base of the mill clear the door sill.

Finally got it, I took the table off of the knee ways, and backed the trailer right up to the door. I jacked the front up till the back sat down on the ground, which made the deck level with the floor of the shop. I went on the far side of the shop and removed the clapboard siding ran a chain through the shop and come a longed it right into the door. Sorry no pictures I was trying to beat the rain.

Congratulations on the new machine JP! Looking forward to seeing pictures and projects!

David

I have to rewire my shop before we see some chips fly, as the original 14 gauge romex isint enough to run anything more than the lights. My wife is tired of the extinsion cords run into the kitchen. I plan on using some 8-3 I had my travel trailer hooked up with. Im gonna run a 4 circut box, 1 for the mill, 1 for the lathe, 1 for the table saw, and the band saw, and the last one for the general duplex recepticals. Im gonna leave the lights on the 14 gauge(flourecent fixtures)

Congrads on your new to you mill,when you get it setup post some pics.I would check w/my buds and see what their doing tomorrow before the rain hits,don't try it along---kroll

JP, I forgot to mention that mill appears to have been greased. that is, the zirk fittings on the knee and table that are supposed to take way oil were probably pumped full of grease. While you have that thing idle it's a worthwhile project to tear down the table and knee and clean that grease out, then lube everything properly with way oil.
I need to do that with mine too, but I'm procrastinating

-Rex

Back