I got me one of these! HASLER SPEED INDICATOR

With all the chatter about accuracy this beg for the old joke I'm sure most have heard, but for those who haven't;

There's been a centuries old competition between the Germans and the Swiss on who produces the most accurate device, anything, etc.
The German engineers developed the smallest piece of wire know to man and sent it to the Swiss, with an Ah.HA!
The Swiss drilled a hole through the center of it and sent it back. :D

Well, I've never used one but I found one of these on E-bay for $25 and some change (shipping included). Meh, if it's a piece of junk, it will still be something to display on a bookshelf. I figure for $25, I'll roll the dice. This isn't the super duper ally ooper accurate one. This is the "Type A" it's supposed to be accurate within 2 rpm. More than accurate enough for me. Anyone else have and use one? Any hint's, tricks or do's and don'ts?

View attachment 231681
It's accuracy when originally made was probably pretty good and two RPM's is still pretty good. As a last resort do the math on something with a known speed. The ones I used when I was owned by Uncle Sam had to be calibrated or checked for calibration.

How do you know it's accurate?
I have the same model - directly from China. I compared the measurements with diy meter (diy meter is not portable - builtin display for mill spindle) - they were 20% off. Of course diy meter may by the bad one - but oscilloscope says it's spot on.

Wysłane z mojego GT-N7100 przy użyciu Tapatalka
20% off the price or 20% off on the readings..:D

With all the chatter about accuracy this beg for the old joke I'm sure most have heard, but for those who haven't;

There's been a centuries old competition between the Germans and the Swiss on who produces the most accurate device, anything, etc.
The German engineers developed the smallest piece of wire know to man and sent it to the Swiss, with an Ah.HA!
The Swiss drilled a hole through the center of it and sent it back. :D
And then it was sent on to Japan and the Japanese tapped the hole.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Las...498610?hash=item25d3b2c5f2:g:QAcAAOSwDNdV7QCV
Works great, incredible accuracy! $7.72 including freight.
$_1.JPG

Thanks ! I uploaded the ebay site & ordered one immediately.

Old car speedometers could be accurate, if they tried. Witness the police certified units. But most were made to budget with aesthetics a primary factor. It's hard to be accurate when your entire range is covered in 60-90 degrees of sweep.

I'll put up a picture of the tach I found in the barn this evening. Accurate or not, it is an impressive piece.

I've got one of the Swiss models. Have had it since the 60's. works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would guess that it functions much like the old mechanical speedometers in cars. The spindle is attached to a rotating magnet and the magnet creates eddy currents which create a force that works against a clock spring.

These read revolutions for a set time. They do not show a constant speed when pressed against a spinning object. You press the end to a spinning shaft and hit the button to start the timer the hands turn for 15 seconds on mine,20170419_063731.jpg and where the needles stop is the rpm read from both needles if above 100, if below 100 read from just the large needle.

What is the name of the app? I'll download it and compare it to this instrument.

I just downloaded Strobily on my Samsung. Will test it when I get to the shop in a couple of hours.

Tom S.

Back