I got a Gerstner chest for 30$

Ebel440

Active User
Registered
I finally found myself a Gerstner tool chest I could afford. It even came with about 20$ worth of tools. Ive wanted something nicer to store my measuring tools in. The inside of the chest is in nice shape. It still has all the drawers and the front panel It even has the key for the latch still. But someone had broken into it in the past and the front panel has damage to the holes where the pins lock the front cover. I was thinking about attaching a brass plate over each side to cover the damage some and so the panel will latch again. But one side has a big chunk of wood missing so I'm not sure what ill do if anything. Just finishing cleaning it out now.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Give me the dimensions of that door. It looks like one I have downstairs. If it's the same I will trade you doors. The box I have is warped where the drawers are but the door is in good shape.

It's 19x 7 3/4. That's a very generous offer but it would be a waste I'm afraid. The boxes front panel is also damaged above the hinged door. At this point I'm inclined to just leave it as it is. I'll never sell it anyway and its rough all over so at least it matches. I did notice while I was cleaning it that all the drawers are progressivly serial numbered on the back. Is this from when it was made? I would assume to keep drawers with the box they were made for so they could finish multiple boxes at the same time?

Nice I thought I did good getting a Kennedy 526 craftsman badged eight drawer box for $30.00 . But it don't compare to your deal and I didn't get the front door with it . I'd only planned on having it in my shop so the door wasn't a don't buy it.
You could repair the busted out parts by milling out the busted area and gluing in a Dutchman and then redrill the pin closer holes . It's not to hard to do. You can jazzy the box up making the Dutchman in a diamond or an X even round. The door you can use the thin brass two strips inset and epoxied in . That's what I'd do.

Last edited:
I keep telling myself I don't need a Gerstner box, but at that price it would not take me long to change my mind...
:congrats:

It was expensive compared to the steel rolling boxes I have. But I get mine from the garbage. sometimes they come with tools too. I actually got a newer wood one from the trash too but my kids stole it for a treasure chest. Forgot all about that.

It was expensive compared to the steel rolling boxes I have. But I get mine from the garbage. sometimes they come with tools too. I actually got a newer wood one from the trash too but my kids stole it for a treasure chest. Forgot all about that.
Hey I need a stand for an atlas mill and cast iron leg set for a planer if YA find them in the junk pile save them somehow ill get there to pick theme up.

Unfortunately I rarely find any machining related stuff. I actually had to leave a heavy steel cabinet/drill press base that would have worked for an atlas perhaps. But it was a choice between the stand and my back.

Back