I got a chance to run a chipmaster 2 last week.

swatson144

Registered
Registered
I'm mostly valves and pumps but also a backup for the machinist. I had a need to face off a piece of 10" monel billet so what better chance to get the 2nd south bend Chipmaster trammed and checked out. Having never run a SB before I started with familiarization with the manual and tramming which was very easy with the rack and worms on the head. then clamped the billet and went at it with a 4" facing mill cutter. Pretty good experience in all and a nice job and finish. The layout of everything was handy and once I found the brake would stop the motor before engaging things went quick and convient.

I'd love to have one in the home shop but it would eat up way more room than a bridgeport because of the sliding ram hanging out the back. The variable speed was a treat as was the reasonably high speed in low range and plenty torque. It was very nice to get a chance to run it and see that no matter how nice I wouldn't want it sitting out from the wall in the way at home but where it is ther is plenty room.

Steve

Back