I Feel Like I Stole This Bandsaw

Surprman

Active User
Registered
Saw an ad in Craig's list for a HF bandsaw. No picture in the ad, but I figured I'd take the 15 mile drive over to see it. I got it for $50. I doubt it was used more than 5 times.
Rick
image.jpg

You should feel like you stole it, cause you did.
Nice score

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

You got the right feeling, you did steal it. Even though not modified you stole it.
Nice find.

Good steal. I have one of the old green ones. Had it 9 years.

Excellent deal!

When I bought my saw, I did the set-up procedure as described about half way through in this video:

It's been cutting well after the set-up. I also added a drywall mud pan to catch the shavings and am right now putting the finishing touches on a hydraulic downfeed which should about do it for planned mods.

When your done you can let me steel it for $75 , that way ya get a profit . Na good find and good luck I'm looking for one tho I really lust after the bigger one from HF with the coupon deals it's around $600. Till then my new old knuth power hacksaw will do.

Excellent deal!

When I bought my saw, I did the set-up procedure as described about half way through in this video:

It's been cutting well after the set-up. I also added a drywall mud pan to catch the shavings and am right now putting the finishing touches on a hydraulic downfeed which should about do it for planned mods.

Thanks. That was a nice video. I have the impression that the original owner did not go to the trouble of checking out the components. I think he got frustrated, gave the saw to his friend who then sold it to me. This morning I opened up the blade guard and saw that there was paint on the surface of the wheels. It looked like it had formed some sort of amalgam with metal dust and adhered to the surface the blade was supposed to travel on. It took some scraping with a razor blade to get that and the paint off. I indicated the two wheels and neither had runout greater than 0.003 so I was happy about that. Everything else looks good. I just need to get a blade then do the alignment set-up.

Saw an ad in Craig's list for a HF bandsaw. No picture in the ad, but I figured I'd take the 15 mile drive over to see it. I got it for $50. I doubt it was used more than 5 times.
Rick
View attachment 107149

I have the same saw,mine is about 10 years old. When I bought it from HF I drove 40 miles to the store.If it was closer and the saw wasn't so heavy I would have taken it back the day I bought it.Works perfect now, took more than 20 ours of tweaking ,scratching my head etc to get the saw to cut square and plumb.It was not possible to adjust the saw to cut plumb without removing the cast iron pivot and re-machining it.After this I could adjust the saw to cut square and plumb.The 3 cone pulley was broken upon uncrating it. Used the medium speed as it was not cracked and made another pulley a few weeks later.The saw should automatically shut off when the cut is done. The cover on my saw prevented it.
Tried a half dozen different things to remedy the problem. The remedy was to remove the cover and throw it in the trash.I never modified or built another stand as mine is satisfactory.I use Morse or Starrett 64-1/2" bi-metal blades.
The transmission grease is too thick,motor won't turn over easily in a cold shop.I have heat in my shop but keep it on pilot at night so sometimes the shop is cold in the morning.After changing the grease to 120 weight oil the saw motor starts without a problem.

mike

Back