I can't believe how much better a good dial indicator is!

Another thing that I like about the Last Word indicator is its mounting method with the friction swivel connectors; it sets up and adjusts easily with a minimum of parts. I do have a B&S, but use the Starrett much more.
I bought one of these for $98.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-COMPAC-...-0-0-01mm-Graduations-WL13-4-11-/172528481406
It had so much hysteresis I sent it to Mark R. for a going over. I can't remember exactly what he did but it is better but still has it. Very annoying imo.
Not sure if i would buy another.
Possible that this model may be low on the totem pole.
The screw adjustment (under the feeler) has an effect on slop, as the arm does not fully engage with the spiral slot in the pointer shaft if it (the screw) becomes loose.

I have recently purchased a lot of indicators on ebay when found reasonable. I love the old starrett last word and have even found some older collectible models such as the Last Word 711 D and the Last Word model C which is marked HA LOWES and is pre-Starrett. I use the Last word 711F for checking pool cues for joint face errors and I have refaced a few cues with great satisfaction. My web page on this is http://waynescuefix.weebly.com/.

Last edited:
Thanks to this discussion and the rabbit hole of research it sent me down I realized I had more than one jewel in an old deal from '03. The shop I was working as an assembly mechanic had very few who knew of DI's much less use for them. A guy showed me an old junction box full of stuff and wanted $100. I laughed at him and he proceeded to ask the whole plant and nobody bit. He came back to me and after me really not wanting it finally gave him $20. It had two Starrett .0005's, a Federal and some Swiss make I'd never heard of. In the discussion on Compac I saw a familiar logo. Turns out to be an Alina .0001 large dial. Who knew?

image.jpeg

Long Island Indicator, who sells and repairs indicators, has a website with comprehensive information about all brands of indicators, the plus's and minus's, and repairability. I have purchased from them and received good service.

Hey ! Where did you guys get all that fancy stuff ? Here is what I use for my precision work . :encourage: 1916 Fuchs indicator made by Ernest Bratschi Manufacturing in Cleveland Ohio . $6.25 with velvet lined case . ;)

IMG_7977.JPG

Long Island Indicator website is a wealth of information. I always go there first if I'm looking for information on DTI and accessories. BesTest & Compaq are my favorites, followed by Starrett.

When buying used test indicators I like metric, they are usually cheaper and there are plenty of Swiss made ones out there. I second the Long Island Indicator site, if its not fixable its only worth a few bucks to me. Mahr from Germany is good stuff too. Dial Indicators are another ball of wax. I really like the old Enco branded Japanese ones, most likely Peacock.

I have enjoyed using old indicators even the mechanical non-dial type. My favorite is an old Koch I rehabilitated with penetrant oil. It came in a large lot I won on ebay. Since then I have collected very antique indicator I can find like the Starrett 64A, Ideal, Trico Micro-check, R. Reich, Gladwyn, Lufkin and a couple that aren't marked, which are all non-dial mechanical indicators. I have one huge cast iron indicator marked with only 193 which was obviously a lathe attachment consisting of a simple direct arm sweeping across crude graduations, very large and heavy... see photo. These old indicators did the job for the old folks long before these dial indicators came out and for some, quite long afterwards. I enjoy using them. Very nostalgic but they are effective. This one in the photo.... I haven't used it as it goes with a certain lathe. Anyone know which lathe?
old lathe indicator8.jpg.old lathe indicator1.jpg

Last edited:
Just arrived today.... Antique Boulet's Fine Tool Works Test Indicator*In Box w/ Extra Parts. Nice case and extra attachments. Bears three patent dates, Oct 2, 1900, Sept. 10, 1901, Feb 23, 1904. Smooth instrument. A pin extends @ 1/32" from the point (cannot be seen in the photo) which is the full extent of actuation.

boulet indicator 5.jpg boulet indicator 1.jpg

Back