Hypertherm Powermax 45XP - Is there a better plasma cutter for the $

coolidge

Active User
Registered
I'm giving this Hypertherm a serious look but have zero experience with plasma cutters. Best price I have found is $1,672 so lets say up to $1900 budget. There are some Miller's within that range but stuff I read on forums suggests Hypertherm is the better plasma cutter and made in USA. Your thoughts?

HYP088123.jpg

I own 4 plasma cutters, all Hypertherms, a PM 30, a PM 45 (original), a PM 65 and a PM 85. I wouldn't buy anything else.

My first Plasma cutter was a Miller Spectrum 500. it was so so. Been running a Hypertherm 1250 for several years with excellent results. I also run this unit on a CNC table and can quickly convert to manual.

Hypertherm all the way! Thats all they do is plasma and have a great support staff. Also the consumables last a long time.

I owned a 600 for years and recently bought a new 45xp with a machine torch. I've been using it for 3-4 months now and don't have a single complaint. Cut quality and consistancy are great. I have used other makes and a couple of the China imports and I personally don't think there's a better unit in that size/power range for hand or cnc machine use. They certainly aren't the cheapest, but in this case you get what you pay for.

Has anyone tried any of the recent Everlast models? I own two of their welders of recent vintage and have been happy.

I looked at the Everlast, about $1,100 for the equivalent of the Hypertherm 45xp but lacks some of the Hypertherm features. Availability of plasma cutting consumables, parts, gadgets, advantage Hypertherm. As this would only save me about $570 vs the Hypertherm I think I would go with Hypertherm. Different equation than a Everlast PowerTIG 255ext vs Miller Dynasty 280 which costs several thousand dollars more, over twice as much as the Everlast. Just my 2 cents worth.

I am balking at the total cost of getting into plasma cutting, $1,670 for the Hypertherm, then need an air compressor that puts out clean, dry, oil free air, then a cutting table with water unless I want to choke on the fumes, and after all that it seems to me CNC plasma cutting is really the most useful. I could hand cut some simple things with a straight edge etc but very quickly the kind of things I'd want to do would require CNC. So I'm going to check with a local CNC plasma cutting place to see how much they would charge to just cut my stuff out for me.

So I'm going to check with a local CNC plasma cutting place to see how much they would charge to just cut my stuff out for me.

If you would, please share what you learn. That value proposition is also interesting.
Thanks!
-brino

Back