Hurricane Irma.

Whyemier

Active User
Registered
Horrendous storm!

One report says 180 mph winds with gusts up to 220 mph. Some spaghetti models put it right up the middle of Florida. Looking for it to go somewhere else or diminish. That being said I would not want it to strike anywhere on the east coast or Gulf Coast either. No one needs this type of Storm!

Have noticed some shelves in stores are sparse as people stock up in case. I will have to inventory supplies myself soon. Then wait to see if we have to 'dig-in' and 'hunker down'.

According to the forecasts Hurricane Irma will probably go up the east coast of US. Not as far from shore as we would hope, leaves GA, SC, NC and VA open for possible storm affects. I hope it goes out to sea and doesn't make landfall. Even if it just goes to the eastside of the state and over land in FL it will diminish the effects to us. The west side of the storm is the weakest side. Still would expect rain and winds though not as heavy. Things should be better for us here if this forecast is correct. But, plenty of time for changes in either direction.

The wife is out trying to get gas in the car. She's been gone for a while so I surmise long lines at the pump. Even though we may not have the problems here south Florida will/may have we have lines at some stations. She may be trying to see if there is a grocery open to find non-perishables. Or...she may be visiting a friend. I'm going to start the generator and let it run (assuming it still runs) to work out any kinks. Just in case power goes out. Then I will survey the yard for items that could become projectiles if we get the strong winds. I might start looking for containers to hold water in case needed. They say a gallon of water a day per person. So...10-12 gallons for the short term, based on prior storms we've been through. I think we have city water so it may not be a problem...unless its all pumped and not tank gravity feed.

Whyemier keeping watch.

I live part of the year in the FL keys... About 1/2 my friends down there are bugging out.

projectiles - coconuts are about the worse. they start out twenty feet in the air and weigh enough to go right through plywood over a window. of course, a stray 2X4 makes a great spear if the wind picks it up.

Water. If enough trailer homes and other light weight structures get moved in the wind enough to break the water lines, there will be no water pressure for days. five gallon buckets or even old milk jugs of water can be a life saver. fill the bathtub too.

My thoughts and prayers are out for whom ever is unfortunate enough to get hit by the main blast.

I lived in coastal FL, SC and NC over the years too and been through many storms. I keep a go bag with a full camping set up in back pack form even in central Alabama. All ultra lite backpacking stuff, water filters, food, stove, tent, sleeping bags, battery powered fans etc. I can live fine with whats in my 80 liter back pack, make my own water from salt water if needed. I've had to leave at least three times here in Alabama for Tornadoes! When I lived in Daytona Beach, FL a few years ago I almost got flooded out with 14" of rain in 2 days. Enough to back my truck under the 5th wheel, I learned to keep the RV road ready and fueled up living on the coast. Its nice having an RV with a generator ready to roll. I don't play with the big hurricanes, over class 3 and I be rolling inland.

I've only dealt with one Cat 5. I left about 4 days before Andrew hit Homestead, FL. Instead of fighting the north bound traffic we cut across to the Naples area and stayed a couple days on the beach till the water turned ugly before heading to Alabama for a week. Best evacuation ever! Went smooth with no traffic heading up the west coast of FL. Wasn't much left after Andrew, it flattened Homestead. Most of the houses were tooth picks, thankfully we were only renting. Couldn't really tell where the houses went, no street signs left, everything looked the same. I don't think its worth it myself if you can move out of the path a few days. Cat 5 ain't worth playing chicken with. I spent 2 weeks without power and water in the summer heat, it sucks even with a generator. I miss having a big 5th wheel for storms, but I don't travel anymore so my go bag and diesel truck with a high rise shell gets me through storms now.

Lost the roof a couple times here in Alabama, one hurricane dropped a tree through the house and one nasty tornado tore the roof off. No matter where you live you have to deal with weather. I don't miss the blizzards at all either, I think the snow storms and severe cold were the most dangerous. Get snowed in and all is well till a roof caves in or someone gets hurt and you can't get out. I just try and prepare for the worst wherever I'm at, rather not be a burden on first responders.

Just talked with a friend. Florida's Turnpike jammed solid at about Kissimmee. Huge lines for gas at turnpike service stations.

You are right, take the less traveled roads right now.

I have a daughter and two grandkids stranded at Ft. Pierce. They have a full tank of gas in the car. They want to leave, but have no idea where to get gas on the road north of them. For most, it takes at least two tank fulls of gas to get out of the state of Florida! They need to at least get to the west side of Florida and if they can as far north as they can get.

right now, no lines and problems for fuel in winter haven, lakeland area. If i were them, I'd go west on 60 from Vero Beach to stay off the turnpike. Its a good road and normally fairly empty. Then head north on the west side of the state.

Back