HSS or Carbide inserts fot lathe turning????

Alright! man that is great. Very glad to hear you worked it out. Yeah the people here are great. I think this is the best forum, they will keep trying to help and incouraging you. I have said this alot they brought me from green newbe to the novice I am today.
Now can I ask if you found what the problem was? and what was not right. If so please share so that all the rest of us may know. Can we see some pics of the bits and how they cut?
Thanks,
Mark

We could still have lunch or a drink sometime if you want.

I wouldn't been able to do it without the help, suggestions and encouragement from you guys.

markknx I'll take you up on that offer soon. My drinking days are long over. (long story)

I've said before, I had been wanting a lathe for 20+ years but with 3 daughters I had to wait for a deal. Now with one in college I REALLY had to find the deal. I wanted to try and buy a U.S. made one. I wait and wait for the killer deals and my waiting always pays off. The only thing that is pretty much ChiCom in my garage is the HF tool box and Northern Industrial welding cart. I'll have to post up the garage set-up in another thread as I'm getting off track here.

Glad you got things sorted. I think you are better off with the smaller tool bits anyway, the 3/8" is way large for that lathe. Even on my 7x (a tiny bit larger than yours) I stuck with 1/4" or 5/16". Hope the foot is continuing to improve.

I even use 1/4 in my 10x22 somtimes. there is alot less work in sharpening them, and they get into tighter places. I made a holder/ adapter for them. Also I make them double ended.
BTW pipe hackyou talked me into buying a belt/disk sander yesterday, (The wife is not talking to me now[bonus]) kinda been thinking about getting one for a while, but have always just used the bench grinder to make my bits and eyeballed the angles. Let you know how I like it latter. Still would liketo see pics of the bits and cut when you are up to it. Hows that foot anyway. well at least you didn't let the apprentise get hurt! lol!

Back