HSS inserts?

Plus, i would think you could file the insert back sharp so long as you aint beating on it?

As long as you only put the top down on the stone, it doesn't mess up the tip radius or anything.

<EDIT>

The only negative thing I can say about them is the lack of a chip breaker.

Also, I still am using up the carbide inserts I had already. They still do a pretty good job in some materials. It is nice to have a choice. :)

Chuck,
From this side of the rockies you seem to be a very ambitious and talented machinist. Why not pick a common carbide insert like CCMT or DCMT and make some of those really cool integrated tool holders like I think it was jumps4 made for his lathe. Or was it darkzero? Anyway they are really cool. There are several good varieties of inserts that don't cost much and cut well.
Just a thought,

Dave

W R Warner makes nice ones. I met them at Cabin Fever once, nice guys. I love to grind my own bits, but the indexable HSS is helpful sometimes..

Bernie

I apreciate the kind words. But 'm just a hack that loves metal. ahahah.

The only reason i was thinking hss is the size of my lathe. I have read some guys use it with no problem. But it seems the majority warn away from carbide. In school we use carbide all day every day.

Do you have a link for these holders? Maybe some plans. I am not opposed to making my own tools.

Anyone have any good links for tool grinding?

Thanks for the help guys
Chuck,
From this side of the rockies you seem to be a very ambitious and talented machinist. Why not pick a common carbide insert like CCMT or DCMT and make some of those really cool integrated tool holders like I think it was jumps4 made for his lathe. Or was it darkzero? Anyway they are really cool. There are several good varieties of inserts that don't cost much and cut well.
Just a thought,

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

Yea they seem to be the most popular so far. I got them saved for future use.

Thanks
W R Warner makes nice ones. I met them at Cabin Fever once, nice guys. I love to grind my own bits, but the indexable HSS is helpful sometimes..

Bernie

I have had amazing luck with carbide on my atlas 12x36 lathe. I found acquiring the proper inserts for the right material made a massive difference. IE when working aluminum I run some high positive aluminum specific inserts. Results are really good.

I can grind bits, but i don't like to unless i need a specific form. My time in the shop is precious and rare these days. I'd rather just rotate my insert and continue.

I'd think carbide would be worth a try as long as you don't try using some big negative rake insert.

I use the Warner HHS tooling. I build custom rifles and do accuracy work and really appreciate the HHS qualities. I can take small cuts ( carbide like a good chip load) and they work very well threading stainless steel. They do sharpen easily as well. Just my two cents from the great white north!!!!

scott

Back