HSS inserts?

chuckorlando

Registered
Registered
I have read others say they are using hss indexable inserts. I cant find them, or when I do i dont know what they would work in.

I want to order some tool holders for my 9x20 but I dont want to order tools only to find I got the wrong one.

Thanks
Chuck

I have read others say they are using hss indexable inserts. I cant find them, or when I do i dont know what they would work in.

I want to order some tool holders for my 9x20 but I dont want to order tools only to find I got the wrong one.

Thanks
Chuck

Same here with my G4003G w/BXA tool holders.

1/2 in tooling is about the max you want to run the majority of the time. There is a thread about decoding the numbers here on the site that will help make sense of what fits what. I generally stay with the triangle shaped inserts like TCMT and TMMT and change the rake and radius of the tip based on hardness of the material. I would assume that the HSS inserts follow the same number system and would be a direct drop in replacement. I bought the 1/4. 5/16 and 1/2 Indexable tooling kits with 5 different holders and use the triangle design insert. The long diamond and other bits really only have two usable tips when the triangles use three and even sometimes 6 different edges. Hope this helps, If you cannot find that thread LMK and I will try to find a direct link for you.

Bob

Perhaps I am missing something, but why not just use HSS lathe tool blanks and grind yourself up some? You can get them dirt cheap on ebay for used and NOS ones, you can grind a different profile in each end of them and you can grind your own form tools for doing things like o ring groves with them. When they get dull you can easily resharpen them, and they will last a very long time unless you crash hard enough to break them. So what's making you want to use inserted HSS?

Thanks guys. I went in the house and got my machinist hand book and found all the code. The only thing that i did not see was a designation for hss or carbide or the like. And so far searching the code brings nothing but carbide. Searching hss dont bring nothing. We'll figure it out.

I have a bunch of hss tools that came with the machine. Thats what I have been using. I have no idea what half of it's for. If I want a small groove I find one with a small round grind on the tip. ahahaha. If it dont work out, i try another one. Sadly I have been fabricating for a very long time and seem to work around the need for a bench grinder. But that will change soon enough. Then I need to learn how to grind a tool. Thats not a problem, and I look forward to that.

But when I have a school project to do and one piece of material, and often limited time to do it if I dont want to remove it and re install it the next day, inserts are just easier being I use them at school, faster to fix if i screw it up(3 shots in seconds), and i know it's got the right angles for the right finish so any ugly is all my fault and not the tool grind.

It seems to me it just takes the guess out of it untill I have some clue what I am doing.

A. R. Warner that sells the HSS inserts has info on their website for which fit the different holders.

There's a reason you are only finding carbide, it's becasue that's all thats used industrialy. They can use an edge then rotate, and once the insert is used up, it is scraped, there is no need for someone sharpening tools full time. If I remember corectly, there was an advertisement in either Home Shop Machinist or Hobby Machinist that was for a toolholder with HSS inserts. The same guy that was making the toolholder was also making and selling the inserts for it. I don't remember exactly what they looked like, but I don't think they would fit the standard triangle holders that you can get cheap for lathes. I encourage you to get a grinder and grind up some tools yourself, it's a very useful skill and will come in handy when you need some sort of funky shaped tool to do a specific job.

Perhaps I am missing something, but why not just use HSS lathe tool blanks and grind yourself up some? You can get them dirt cheap on ebay for used and NOS ones, you can grind a different profile in each end of them and you can grind your own form tools for doing things like o ring groves with them. When they get dull you can easily resharpen them, and they will last a very long time unless you crash hard enough to break them. So what's making you want to use inserted HSS?

Actually, it is really the best of both worlds. The sharpness of HSS and the ability to quickly rotate to a new edge. The HSS inserts are very easily resharpened consistently. Just put them face down on a stone and rub. It makes it where you feel free to give it a quick honing more often and keep it sharp.

I can and do grind my own cutters for special cases but I also really appreciate the indexables. My shop time is limited and I prefer to spend it making things rather than sharpening.

Oh i intend to learn how to do it. I just recall some guys on her mentioning they were using hss inserts so I figured they must be around. So far I only found threading ones. Thats a grind I could do myself and have plenty done. Plus, i would think you could file the insert back sharp so long as you aint beating on it?

Back