Hoz Bandsaw Blade what people are using for General Purpose

bobdog

Registered
Registered
I have a Dake Model J Hoz bandsaw would like to know what people out there are using ? I cut channel / angle iron / square tube. What teeth per inch / What rake / blade type. Looking for a general purpose blade. Any thoughts would help. Or where is best place to purchase one already welded. Thanks

Rule of thumb is to have as many teeth on the material per thickness as you can. On my band saw I use a Bimetal blade with a 10-14 variable tooth pattern. Believe it or not the Harbor Freight blades are as good as the named brand blades. I don't use their tools much unless it's a throwaway that I'll only use once and while this comes under that category of throwaway, they do last a good while with any material and I've never had them pop a tooth and wipe out the rest of the blade like some others.

I prefer Lenox 10/14V Classic Bandsaw Blades. The bi-metal blades last well. My last blade came from MSC.

I order mine from bandsawbladesdirect.com.

I found a band sawing guide by Lenox that I had saved. I think is excellent - check it out.

Attachments

• LENOX Guide to Band Sawing.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 16
What size blade is that?

On my HF 4x6 (4x8 now) I started out with the blade it came with. Then I tried the Supercut blades from HF, and they were a lot better. Then I tried some Starret blades and regardless of the pitch they didn't seem to hold up any better than the Supercut blade. They just cost more. I've gone back to the Supercut blades. I cut mostly aluminum flat bar from 1/2" to 3" thick and the occasional steel piece. I keep the speed and spring pressure about the same for everything. For tube and angle I babysit it so I can slow the feed by hand when it breaks through to just cutting the side walls. Otherwise it feeds to fast (even with no spring tension) and will bind and brake blades. I keep telling myself I'm going to make a pneumatic cylinder feed control, but I have so many projects I just never get around to it.

I second the Lenox Diemaster Blades. I recently bought a blade from Bahco and multiple teeth ripped off cutting some stainless.
RWM

I tried Lennox, starret, the hf, the last couple have been Olson bi metal 10-14 vari raker. They seem to be holding up the best, alot of varied material I use though solid round and rectangular bar, tubing thin wall and heavy wall...
I don't love them, but they are in between the hf and starret in price, thru amazon
Agree completely on standing over the saw for tubing. It binds and than I get a kinked blade

Here's a link to a guide on how to determine which blades are best for your situation:

http://www.ellissaw.com/bandsaw-blades/

I use their bimetal blades with either an 8-10 tooth variable pitch, or a 10-14 tooth variable pitch. The rule of thumb is a minimum of 3 teeth in contact with the work at any time. If cutting aluminum, brass, or any other material that is "gummy" 3 to 5 teeth in contact is more than sufficient. If there are more teeth in contact the blade can easily load up with swarf.

They will make any blade any size and tooth configuration. The minimum order is 2 pieces. The last time I bought some for my Startrite H175W bandsaw (.750" x 98" x .035") they cost $26.00 each. Blades usually last me 2 years when cutting 2 - 8 hours per week.

Write this down on or near your horizontal metal cutting band saw-- 3; 6-12; 24
Here is what it means:
NEVER less than 3 teeth in the cut. You will rip off teeth or jam in the cut. Very rough finish...
6-12 teeth in the cut is ideal. Room for chips in the gullets, and each tooth can take a good, solid chip load. Straight cuts possible...
NEVER more than 24 teeth in the cut. The gullets will fill up with chips and the blade will jam. You will cut slowly and crooked...
Get that right and blade problems will be considerably less.

Back