How would I face an oversized piece in a lathe?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hey Guys,

To face a 7" diameter by 1 1/4" deep piece of Hot Rolled Steel in a 5" chuck with reversed jaws in place. What are my options?

Thanks!

Nelson

Make some outsized soft jaws. Just make sure you clear your ways, and also the front of the carriage as it will be in the way also.

Options?

A friend with an 8" chuck...

Flycut that sucker on your mill...

Tapered arbor held in chuck with a tailstock center, if you can drill any kind of central hole init, a typical flywheel cutting setup...

Mount it to your faceplate...more holes needed, maybe even blind tapped ones...not with doublesticky tape though...don't try that.

Do let us know how YOU solved it please...

HTH,
PaulS

Buy, borrow, steal a larger lathe! :D

Use a mill.

Work with the face plate.

Another option that I have used before.
Mount the piece on right angle plate to your cross slide and mount fly cutter near the edge of 4 jaw chuck.

Wow! Thanks for all the options...

I understand some of the solutions, and others have me lost.

Have any of you taken any photos of this process at work?

Thanks again,

Nelson

Jim B
Is that a live center to help support that big piece of alum?

That is very good. I have seen some try without that kind of support and the troubles started. Alum is so soft that it will work loose from the chuck and spit out with very bad reactions to people and machines in the area.

Nice step pulley!

That reminds me that the Jet BDB-1340 that we have at work, you can not lube the step pulley on the spindle! No oil hole, no grease fitting, nothing. Only the grease you put on the interior of the step pulley on assembly is there. I had to replace the spindle seals and o-rings last week and tried to figure out how to lube it from time to time. What is really needed is a 1/4" to 5/16" space between two of the steps to allow a grease fitting for servicing. The bronze bushing that is pressed into the step pullley actually has worn two grooves into the spindle! That was a surprise when I got it all apart and cleaned up.

Back