How To?

Steven57

Registered
Registered
On my Precision Machines PM1030V lathe in the change gear box the gears are slotted to fit on a bushing that has an attached keyway. I say attached, but it appears to be one piece. How would one go about making one of those keyed bushings. I know turn the outside and inside to dimension. But, how to round the outside down more and leave a key intact?

I would say the easiest way to create that form with what you have would be to make a traditional keyway and then silver or soft solder a key into it. I have made them before using a shaper with a tool bit that is ground to be a small segment of the diameter and then use a rotary table to rotate the work. I suppose you could use your lathe carriage the same way and use a form tool. You will have to provide support in the middle if it has any kind of length. Maybe use your follow rest, although I've never tried that.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic

Those are called Compound Bushings. Normally have 2 ''keys'', are made of sintered steel, and are very hard. Available from Boston Gear, Ametric, and others.

It would be possible to make them on a rotary table (set vertical) or a shaper would work well.

On my Precision Machines PM1030V lathe in the change gear box the gears are slotted to fit on a bushing that has an attached keyway. I say attached, but it appears to be one piece. How would one go about making one of those keyed bushings. I know turn the outside and inside to dimension. But, how to round the outside down more and leave a key intact?
Like so?
integralkey_zpsix7hwupd.jpg

The ones in my Clausing MK2 have two 'keys'. Glad to know Boston has them, I was wondering....

I've seen standard keys just held in with screws also.

Actually, they sent me 5 for free. Great customer service!!! I just like to know how they are made and sometimes making them is better than buying. Not necessarily cheaper, but better :)

Back