How to wire "new" contactor to momentary switch

Hi Mike,
If EvilBaying you want either a 4-pole or 3-pole-with-NO-aux (may be listed as "3NO+NO" or similar), and it must be rated for the motor - motors are the "AC3" rating in kw or hp marked on the contactor - this will be the LOWEST marked as motors/transformers are inductive and Hard Work, generating high voltages when the load current' S interrupted with bigger arcs at the contacts...
If you want to be extra safe, 24v control circuits can't fry you, you'll need a 24v a.c. coil contactor and a 208-24v control transformer rated about 50 va - and as suggested, a motor overload that sits between motor and the contactor, either fixed for your motor's full load amps or with an adjustment covering that current - the setting is such that it'll run at FLA but trip 20 - 30% above, saving the motor.
Check the motor voltage is right for your supply or it can be wired for it, and if it's never run in your sight check it for opens, leakage to earth etc!

Dave H. (the other one)

Guys, thanks for the input and ideas. I will need some time for this info to sink in.
Let me ponder and I'll be back with questions.

Thanks again

Well, it looks like the GE CL45 contactor will not work; I really think a low voltage on/off is best.
This older Craigslist contactor is rated for the correct amperage/motor and appears to me to have the motor overload but I don't see what the coil voltage is (I am assuming that it is line voltage 240v). Unless someone can decypher the GE serial number and it has what the coil voltage is, this one won't work either.
GE CR354AB3AB3AC CONTACTOR.JPG GE Contractor, AUX overload N.C..JPG GE coil, unknown voltage.JPG

While searching on eBay I didn't find what I was looking for but did find a advertisement and saw these Fuji contactors. The coils are available as 24vac or 24vdc. I assume that 24vac is what I should look for and maybe pull an old transformer off of a HVAC unit.

thanks for looking, on edit, here is the website where I saw the Fuji contactors https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...ols/Fuji_Contactors_-z-_Overloads/9_to_25_Amp

Mike

Attachments

• Contactor_AUX contact and thermo overload relay.pdf
    76 KB · Views: 6
Hi Mike, please be aware that the overload in the pdf you attached is only up to one and a half amps, your motor may draw a lot more...

I tried to read the data on the motor plate in your earlier pic, but can't make out much other than the 60 cycles and 1740 RPM, if you can get a clear shot someone here may be able to offer a bit more guidance - it can help to wipe something dark over the plate with a rag so it fills in the stamped letters/numbers (I like artists' oil paint, or heavy graphite grease :D )

One and a half Amps would be around 3/4 - 1 HP at 440v, about half that at 220 - the motor plate LOOKS LIKE it has diagrams for high and low supply voltages, but it's hard to be sure with the fuzzy pic... It may give full-load amps as well, for the high and low voltage connections, if you're lucky!

Dave H. (the other one)

The motor is 220 or 440, I'll be using the low voltage-- 220v and it is tagged as 13.2 amps and 5hp.
I'll need to look at that website to see the correct overload.

I agree the photos posted are all fuzzy, they are sharp on my computer, I hate out of focus photos. It might be how I'm uploading them, I don't know

Update on the Shaper and motor. I wanted to be sure that the motor actually worked before I bought the contactors to wire up the switch so I wired the motor directly to the disconnect. Put the 3-phase to it and it ran smooth and quiet. The shaper was built for the Navy in 1943 and the motor looks original to me; even with the ugly porch paint. I'm planning on ordering the contactors in the morning.

This is the first oil lubed motor that I've seen. On each bell there is a thumb screw with a neat little hinge to keep the thumb screw with the motor.
Here are a couple of photos of the oiling ports

GREASE FITTING 2.JPG On the top there is a square plug that has a small screw. They were thinking when they designed the thumb screw; putting a split in the middle for a screwdriver and the hinge to prevent loosing it.
Left side of motor, from top.JPG
The opposite side is missing the screw,
Right side of motor from top Grease_Oil filling.JPG

Mike, restoring older machines a person must learn new skills, one thing i've learned in the electrical many older machines use 24v magnet on the contactor, and run an transformer, mostly because the insolation wasn't very good and operator won't get electrocuted, when ever i come across any good contactor on flea market i'm checking for the little tug for the voltage on the magnet, and i'm keeping spare for all my machines, the 24v are hard to find even new here, the grease fittings on motor is not a bad thing, they last forever if sized right, i've been told you need to use thick oil like 90 weight.

Back