How to use a center finder

prasad

Active User
Registered
Guys,

I have an edge/center finder from LMS. I have seen the video on hor to use it as a edge finder. Is there any video on how to use it to find the center? Any guidance is welcome.

Regards
Prasad

Do you refer to a conical center finder on one end of an edge finder? Everyone seems to use theirs differently for centering up punch marks and small holes.

Tony Wells,the administrator,and a machine shop owner, gets his punch mark close enough that he can stick the center point into it. Then,he moves the X and Y axis until his fingernail doesn't catch on the mating edges of the center finder at positions 90º apart.

Then,he considers the punch mark to be accurately located on center with the spindle.

I get mine centered until I can measure across the mating joint with a micrometer at 2 places 90º apart,and get .500" on either side. Then,I consider the punch mark on center.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks George. I never thought about the mic method. I've always used my fingernail like Tony.

I might be being excessive about it,but that's what I do.:) The fingernail probably works fine if Tony uses it. I'll try it next time,then,after I get the center satisfactory with the nail,I'll check with a mike. Be sure to hold the mike exactly vertical to the edge of the center finder. Careful technique is necessary.

So I may be a little bit numb, but I am assuming that the spindle is not on while using the center finder unlike when using the edge finder.

Yes, you are correct, this is done with the power off. I should say that there is a way the use the pointy end under power to find a center of a larger hole, but I have never done it.

When feeling for the two pieces of the edgefinder to line up, I have tried my fingernail, even razor blades to catch that lip. The best way I have found if to use your fingertips, much more sensitive than the nail. Even beats the razor blade edge catch test. With practice you can get centered over a punch mark to half a thou.

Hi

Many thanks. I tried Tony's method and was able to center the part in my 4-jaw chuck. I am now boring it. I am trying to make a Dremel tool holder for my Grizzly 9x19 lathe. I hope I will not make any mistakes.

I have to try your micrometer method soon.

Thank you all who replied to this thread.

Prasad
Wynnewood PA

Do you refer to a conical center finder on one end of an edge finder? Everyone seems to use theirs differently for centering up punch marks and small holes.

Tony Wells,the administrator,and a machine shop owner, gets his punch mark close enough that he can stick the center point into it. Then,he moves the X and Y axis until his fingernail doesn't catch on the mating edges of the center finder at positions 90º apart.

Then,he considers the punch mark to be accurately located on center with the spindle.

I get mine centered until I can measure across the mating joint with a micrometer at 2 places 90º apart,and get .500" on either side. Then,I consider the punch mark on center.

I hope this makes sense.

Here is the reason for my question. I wanted to make a Dremel tool holder for my 9x20 lathe. Using guidance received I centered the job on my lathe chuck and made the tool holder. Pictures are attached.

Thank you for all the help.

Regards and happy turkey day,
Prasad
Wynnewood PA

CAM00080.jpg CAM00083.jpg CAM00085.jpg

Back