How To Shape Soft Aluminum

schemer

Active User
Registered
Hi guys,
I need to make an adjustment like one as shown in the image below but am not sure of the best way to do it without getting elaborate. Anybody ever have to do anything like this? I am thinking maybe mill or router the shape in a 4x4 and making a large punch type tool and smacking it with a hammer, but I want nice results. I have 1/8" thick 3003 or 5052 aluminum. The reason is for clearance as the surface the piece will attach to has another piece already there that needs to stay there. :)
Thanks,
schemer
aluminum mod-1.jpg

Carve the pocket in end grain oak or other HARD wood, drill two holes to pilot the piece, clamp a piece of steel or end grain wood everywhere but where the cavity is. Form a die to nearly fit the cavity and drill a guide hole it in, and whack away. Your stamp may be wood, but aluminum will do better. Lube it with something like white lithium grease.

Thanks for the idea...I was thinking something like that but you thought it out much better. I think I have some hardwood out in the shop that I can use and definitely have some round aluminum.

Back