How To Search This Forum?

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
I am fairly new to using this forum and have found the search engine to be less than friendly.

Are there any hints and tips on how to best search published and if so, where are they? If not, can you share any tips you you may have discovered.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I agree that the search function is less than optimum. You can use a site specific search function from google. Open a google page, enter your search terms, and then put "site:www.hobby-machinist.com", without the " " though. This allow google's search engine to work our site, and only our site. For me, it searches a specific website better than most of the integral search engines.

+1 to Tony's way.

I just tried it and it is much easier than our search engine. Thank you Tony.

"Billy G"

BTW, this will work with any website, as long as you write out that string correctly. It will narrow your results, and not bring in unrelated material simply because of your search terms.

I use another forum that has added the Google search option within its search function as an option. You can choose to use the BBS search function or there is another box for the Google search. I don't know if that is an option with the BBS software that this forum uses or not. If it is, sure would be helpful to have it included so you never leave the forum to search.

The best way to get results from the site search engine is to go advance and search in Title only.

I just typed "Bridgeport" in the search box above ...it returned with "No Hits" ....Lol Thanks Tony for that tip, I will definitely use that one .
I have found that whenever i need to find information on things , i search bing or google for what I want but add the word "forum" to my search .
It limits the hundreds of results trying to sell me something .

Back