How To Safely Cut Angle Stock?

I'm the new guy here, and so have no reason to have an opinion other than I have had pieces go flying when it was cut the recommended way with the apex up. It seems as though if the clamp doesn't have a little bit of grab at the bottom, it will rotate and go flying.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

good advice from above in RJ's post, and just to add, sometimes the movable jaw hold down bolt (depending on your saw) can work loose and lift up and create more issues as mentioned in the above post!

Before you start the cut, give the workpiece a little percussive love from a lead hammer. If you hear any movement, loosen the jaw and re-clamp, then re-test. I've had angle get snatched out of the vise before too. Also, make sure you're not using too coarse a blade for the thickness of the material. Thin stuff tends to grab more. Always have at least 3 teeth fully engaged, else drop to a finer toothed blade.

Great tips all, thank you all

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I don't like the clamping of the legs down approach and it is problematic for mitres.
I have always used a piece of round bar just bigger than the legs of the angle and used it to clamp one leg horizontal and one vertical. Can be done either way to cut your 45s.

I clamp apex up for most stock as described above.
I do not clamp thin aluminum angle this way though. Getting the clamping pressure just tight enough to hold the work with out crushing it is not easy on my saw.
I keep an assortment of scrap blocks and wood in my chip pan. For thin angle, I clamp it with one leg flat on the table, and the other leg against a piece of scrap wood/mdf/etc against the fence. I put a block into the clamp to press on the vertical leg. I then cut stock and scrap at the same time. This gives more tooth engagement and it prevents the thin material of the leg from getting bent back during the cut.
This arrangement works really well with formed sheet metal used in things like steel shelving and the like also.

Personally I dislike the term "apex" too languages here, many people won't know what you mean.

For angle, clamp it point up in the vise. Like Bob (RJ) shows in post #10.
That is what the manuals for both my abrasive and dry cut metal cutting chop saws.

One other part not yet mentioned.....go slow!
If you jam the blade into the work it will "catch and release" hopefully not directly at you!

I fond the bandsaw much more forgiving.

-brino

Back