How To Repair The Steering Head On My Motorcycle?

I have removed a steering neck tube and re welded it back at a different angle. you could remove it and weld on a new replacement.
You would have to make your replacement, and could make it heavier walled or from better material.
Lots of measurements need to be done first of course.

Russ

You are right that a headanectomy would be a possibility but I am going to make that a last resort option.

mal

Calculate by how much the race seat is oversize, then turn a bit of mild steel round bar to fit over the outside of the headstock, but make the internal diameter smaller by the amount of play in the bearing seat. Heat up to bright red, slip it over the headstock and let it cool.

Thank you for your input - I am carefully measuring everything up and will soon start to make some specific decisions on which method best fits the situation. As there is a top bearing mount and a bottom bearing mount - I may even use two different methods - depending on the condition of each mount and also because of frame geometry access is a little different in each case.

Cheers

mal

Since you seem to have some concern as the the stretched out metal, a reinforcing ring should take care of that issue. If you make the outer outer ring .003 smaller than the OD of the existing ring, heat the new ring to around 500F and hammer/press on and let cool you should shrink the tube and the new race would tap right in. Now your neck would be much stronger with the additional ring than it is now.

Hi Giy's from over the pond,
heating and hammering, press fit collers is just a bit over the top over the top..........on occasion in industry (even for high stress areas) we just had the bearing cup hard chrome plated on the outside and then centerless ground back to the size u want........
no stress , quite cheap and permenent........
good luck Clogs........

Well, a couple of complications in your solution, which is a proper one in many instances. In this case, the original bore is not round or straight, so would need to be accurately bored to accept the new OD of the plated bearing. Then to get a single piece processed as you say would be very difficult for an individual. An established shop that specialized in equipment repair that had already developed a relationship with a plater/grinder would allow it, but not just the average Joe on his own. ENP maybe. I know a shop or two that might work one piece for just about anyone, but that's not what you are suggesting. Then there is the long term prospect. In all probability, this bearing would never need to be replaced, but in the event it did, the next owner would be faced with doing the same thing; plating and grinding.

seems wear won't be even so either fill the void with one of the suggested products and reinforce with outer ring or mill/ remove the neck and fab up a new one

Welding on a furnace BRAZED frame will cause more problems then you might be aware of.

Back