How to Remove this Hole Cutter

My Dewalt likes to get stuck after a heavy job. Channel locks to loosen the collar and a tap inward to release the tool.

Rather than a rag-padded pliers or wrench, you could make a split block like Tom Lipton used on the body of his Albrecht chuck when he disassembled it:

20240504 Oxtool Chuck Clamp.png

Or you could use brass to cushion the jaws of the pliers/wrench like Tom did on the hood of his chuck:

Copper Padded Wrench Jaws.png

My concern with using anything that doesn't uniformly grip the chuck is that the (what looks like plastic) chuck would crack.

A strap wrench as @93xs2003 suggests may work, but there's not much un-tapered length on the chuck.

Got lucky and was able to remove the tool. I clamp a vise-grip into the shank of the 22mm hole cutter and hit the vise-grip laterally away from the drill. Did this a few times and then holding the chuck I turn the drill CW/CCW a few times and it got undone.

To answer Jake M question "how is it stuck", I could not unscrew the collar.

Thank you all for the excellent help.

Glad you got it with no damage.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer......

Ridgid 31350 Strap Wrench
Good morning, I also use a strap wrench to keep from damaging the chuck. I milled flats to hold the stationary ring of the chuck with a vice-grip. I also noted that when using a drill bit and bottoming it in the chuck the release works with no problem at least 9 out of ten times on heavy cuts. Hole saw arbors do not bottom out in the chuck and wonder if the jaws may tip at the top or cock locking the chuck.F203F56F-0CDB-44EF-9C9B-C19DB9C434B2.jpeg5C676480-DFFF-493D-9239-3ACE66BDA419.jpeg

Last edited:
Back