How To Remove Surface Rust.

Bob's post hits all the Evaporust issues well. Heed these. I has some parts partially submerged and got the nasty lines he describes. I wonder how it would do in a parts washer with the pump running?
Robert

Acids are one of the worst things you can have in your shop. If the container leaks, all your tools and machines will be damaged by rust and corrosion. Store it somewhere else, and use it somewhere else. I store mine in my shop, but they are in a heavy clear vinyl bag, tightly closed and in another clear vinyl, well closed bag, and then put in a strong five gallon plastic bucket with a tight fitting lid. Once a year or so I take the bucket outside, open it, and look for any leaks inside the vinyl bags. If none, I close it and return it to storage...

I have seen the results of shop acid leaks, and they are not pretty. There are lots of products you might not think about -- soldering flux, drain cleaners, lead acid batteries, and others, all potentially problems.

Metal Rescue is essentially the same as Evaporust, same approach to rust removal, chelating agents.

To make Evaporust last longer, and work even better, try the following:
Use it in a warm place and it will work faster.
Pre clean the parts before they go into the Evaporust. Clean all oils and grease off, and brush any loose rust away. Evaporust has surfactants (detergent) in it. If, after a while it no longer makes a few soapy bubbles when you pour it, then add a few drops of dish washing detergent to the mix. Don't overdo it, that seems to slow it down. The more rust on the parts you put in, the shorter time the solution will last.
Keep the container well covered while soaking parts in Evaporust. If it loses water by evaporation, it will not work as well. You can add a little more water, but it is a guessing game. It works best at the original dilution.
Make sure the parts are COMPLETELY covered with Evaporust. If part is sticking up out of the solution, it will get etched at the liquid to air line, leaving an ugly etched line there that is not easily removed.
It is said that you can cover large parts with paper towels or rags soaked in Evaporust to remove rust. I have not tried that and I really have my doubts that method will work well unless kept constantly and completely wetted with the Evaporust and prevented from drying out anywhere. Does anybody here have experience with that?
When you put the parts in the Evaporust, lay them so the rusty areas are well presented to large amounts of Evaporust. If the really rusty parts are against the bottom of the container or against other parts, the rust will be removed much more slowly on those sections. Slosh the parts around a bit after you pour the Evaporust in the container. Try to work any and all air bubbles out. After a day or so, depending on the amount of rust, take the parts out of the Evaporust and brush them down with a stiff nylon brush and fresh water. I use hot water. Hit all the crevices, threads, and internal surfaces as well. If there is still rust on any of the parts, put them back in for another day or so. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary. You can scrub off the black deposits that some of the parts will have after Evaporust. Maroon or light gray Scotchbrite will brighten them up nicely. Blast the water on the parts off with compressed air. When they are good and dry, coat them COMPLETELY with ATF. I use toothbrushes, Q-tips, bottle brushes, and whatever to make sure every bit of surface is lightly coated with the ATF. The tools or parts will look really nice at this point and will be well protected against future rust. The Evaporust can be used over and over until it is quite black and works too slowly to be worthwhile. Then it can be poured down the drain safely. If you are on a septic system, i would not do it. You do not need to wear gloves while working with Evaporust, it only reacts with iron oxide (rust). It does, however, leave your hands blackened, though it does wash off with soap and water, a brush, and some effort. Gloves are optional, but the smell that remains is not awful, but also not pleasant. Have Fun!
To all the newbie’s unfamiliar with Evaporust. You should read all of Bob’s remarks in this thread! It’s all good helpful stuff/info on using Evaporust. And yes Bob, I have used paper towels soaked in Evaporust on large projects too big for a container. Worked very well. Kept a close eye on it, wetting frequently and brass wire bushing to avoid any weirdness in metal discoloration…Dave

Bob are you including Evaporust in your acids list? I thought it was a non-acidic, non-basic product. ?
Mark S.
What is it made of anyhow? What kind of chelating agent?

I can see why Klatu is worried about rust removal...

Bob are you including Evaporust in your acids list? I thought it was a non-acidic, non-basic product. ?
Mark S.
What is it made of anyhow? What kind of chelating agent?
No, Mark. Evaporust is not acid or base, as you said. Evaporust uses chelating agents, which attach themselves to specific molecules ONLY. In the case of Evaporust, it is iron oxide (rust). The formula for Evaporust is a trade secret.

Fascinating. But there must be some loss of parent metal isn't there? More so than with the electrolysis I would think.
Mark S.

Fascinating. But there must be some loss of parent metal isn't there? More so than with the electrolysis I would think.
Mark S.

I think the lose stuff falls off but any that is still well attached gets "changed". Thats nearly the limit of my knowledge with the electrolysis , the electrodes do degrade so that might be the source of build up in the tank?

Stuart

Mark S.
When rust is formed, the iron in the parent metal gets changed to iron oxide (rust). None of the de-rusting methods will return the iron from the iron oxide back to the original iron or steel. That metal is gone, and can often be seen as pits in the metal. Avoid rust however and wherever you can, there is no useful way to put it back where it was removed. Electrolysis done properly, chelating agents, and molasses will remove the rust from the iron or steel. They will not remove metal that has not rusted. Acids attack both the rust and the good metal, so along with removing the rust, you will see a frosted finish on the good metal, showing that some of it has been dissolved as well.

Back