How To Remove Surface Rust.

sanddan

Active User
Registered
I recently scored a bunch of tooling and cutters and some of them have some surface rust. What's the best way to clean them up without affecting the critical dimensions? For example, a set of pin gages or 123 blocks? I'm not worried about the end mills and drill bits as they will clean themselves when used but the measuring and other items that have precision ground surfaces.

These gage pins are examples of the worst rust. Bummer that about 25% of this set are like this. One end (buried in the wood case) is rust free but the other is a mess.

rusty pins.JPG

Evaporust. Read and follow the instructions. It is safe and works well, but costs more. Acid based de-rusting schemes involve losing some of the original metal along with the rust. If it is a shovel, no big deal. If it is a gage pin, it matters! If it is a Hermann Schmidt grinding vise, it will come out frosted instead of shiny and will be less than perfectly accurate in the tenths world. Of course, the rust removed is also the original metal, so that can matter as well. The gage pins in your photo still have ends that will be completely usable and accurate (the less rusty ends) after Evaporust, but not after vinegar, naval jelly, CRL, and other acid products. Electrolysis done properly is also OK, but it can also cause good metal removal under certain conditions. Molasses, I honestly do not know...

Hey Bob, under what conditions does electrolysis remove parent material? It was my understanding that this did not happen. Just curious because I've been doing ERR for many years and haven't seen any evidence of parent metal removal. Admittedly, I have not mic'd the part before and after, though.

Electrolysis will definitely remove parent metal if you get the leads reversed. Ask my drill press table how I know!
Robert

Last edited:
True, Robert, but I've never done that. When the polarity is correct, there should not be parent material removal as far as I know. But I'm willing to be incorrect.

Hey Bob, under what conditions does electrolysis remove parent material? It was my understanding that this did not happen. Just curious because I've been doing ERR for many years and haven't seen any evidence of parent metal removal. Admittedly, I have not mic'd the part before and after, though.
Yes, reversed leads. Also, I think that can happen if you leave the parts in WAY too long...

Sounds good. So, where do I find Evaporust?
Harbor Freight, for one. Do a Google search. It is at lots of places. There are also some ideas that have worked for me at making Evaporust last longer. I will try to address that later, no time now. Evaporust also has a competitor now, with the same basic chelating agent approach. Can't remember the name at the moment. I will try to get back to you with that info as well...

Metal Rescue is essentially the same as Evaporust, same approach to rust removal, chelating agents.

To make Evaporust last longer, and work even better, try the following:
Use it in a warm place and it will work faster.
Pre clean the parts before they go into the Evaporust. Clean all oils and grease off, and brush any loose rust away. Evaporust has surfactants (detergent) in it. If, after a while it no longer makes a few soapy bubbles when you pour it, then add a few drops of dish washing detergent to the mix. Don't overdo it, that seems to slow it down. The more rust on the parts you put in, the shorter time the solution will last.
Keep the container well covered while soaking parts in Evaporust. If it loses water by evaporation, it will not work as well. You can add a little more water, but it is a guessing game. It works best at the original dilution.
Make sure the parts are COMPLETELY covered with Evaporust. If part is sticking up out of the solution, it will get etched at the liquid to air line, leaving an ugly etched line there that is not easily removed.
It is said that you can cover large parts with paper towels or rags soaked in Evaporust to remove rust. I have not tried that and I really have my doubts that method will work well unless kept constantly and completely wetted with the Evaporust and prevented from drying out anywhere. Does anybody here have experience with that?
When you put the parts in the Evaporust, lay them so the rusty areas are well presented to large amounts of Evaporust. If the really rusty parts are against the bottom of the container or against other parts, the rust will be removed much more slowly on those sections. Slosh the parts around a bit after you pour the Evaporust in the container. Try to work any and all air bubbles out. After a day or so, depending on the amount of rust, take the parts out of the Evaporust and brush them down with a stiff nylon brush and fresh water. I use hot water. Hit all the crevices, threads, and internal surfaces as well. If there is still rust on any of the parts, put them back in for another day or so. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary. You can scrub off the black deposits that some of the parts will have after Evaporust. Maroon or light gray Scotchbrite will brighten them up nicely. Blast the water on the parts off with compressed air. When they are good and dry, coat them COMPLETELY with ATF. I use toothbrushes, Q-tips, bottle brushes, and whatever to make sure every bit of surface is lightly coated with the ATF. The tools or parts will look really nice at this point and will be well protected against future rust. The Evaporust can be used over and over until it is quite black and works too slowly to be worthwhile. Then it can be poured down the drain safely. If you are on a septic system, i would not do it. You do not need to wear gloves while working with Evaporust, it only reacts with iron oxide (rust). It does, however, leave your hands blackened, though it does wash off with soap and water, a brush, and some effort. Gloves are optional, but the smell that remains is not awful, but also not pleasant. Have Fun!

Back