How to remove bezel on Westhoff dial indicator

Razzle

Jack of All, Master of None
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I picked up a Westhoff 400-6 dial indicator some time ago. Just got around to looking at it and it looks to be a real nice indicator. Very smooth and just needs cleaning. But it is missing a crystal. I would like to replace it but can't figure out how to remove the bezel. There are no screws or pinholes. It seems to be retained by some internal springs. If I look inside I see these tiny scroll springs around the inside edge of the back of the bezel ring. But I can't figure out how to release them. Anyone have any experience with this make? I can't find anything on the web or on vintage machinery about Westhoff indicators. Says Made in Japan on the back cover but I don't know if it's original.

Attachments

• IMG_20230204_115952596.jpg
    IMG_20230204_115952596.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230204_120002037_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230204_120002037_HDR.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230204_120225318~2.jpg
    IMG_20230204_120225318~2.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 27
Gently pull a bit on those wires. Bezel should come off.

I did try that but it looked like I would pull the spring out and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back in. If I pry up on the bezel opposite of the hand it definitely behaves like some spring is keeping it in. Doesn't seem like it makes sense that I would have to pull the mechanics out to remove the bezel.

Once you pull those springs the bezel comes off.
To replace the bezel you will first re-insert the springs (they can fall out) and by starting on one side, you push the bezel to take up the play on the one side. Then use a small pin to push the other spring in until the bezel pops down over it.
You do have a means to replace the crystal?

Ah, that sounds doable. Makes sense now that you describe it that way. Yes I have a way to install the crystal. I have replaced the crystal on a starrett and two Federals that I picked up on eBay. The Westhoff was the only one I couldn't figure out how to remove the bezel on.

@Bone Head I wanted to thank you for your assistance. That worked easily. Once I had the indicator upside down in my hand and gently pulled back the spring, the bezel came right off. Putting it back on was easy. I now have a really nice Westhoff indicator to put on my Mighty Mag. That seemed appropriate.

Glad I could help. Enjoy!

Back