How To Quickly Grind Lathe Bits

With all due respect, you failed to quote my whole post. While I agree 100% the right wheel will ease the job it will not make you a great grinder of tool bits. ONLY PRACTICE will accomplish this. FWIW I still grind on the gray wheels with no problem.

"Billy G"

Stock grinder wheels are designed for general purpose grinding, think lawnmower blades, mystery metal etc.

Get your self wheels designed for hardened tool steels, like these or something similar.
https://www.amazon.com/Norton-3X-Grinding-Wheel-grit/dp/B0046AFNZM/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TFVXO0/

Ideally you want something like a 46 grit on one side to remove the bulk of the material, and then an 80 to 120 grit on the other side to leave a fine finish, that can be quickly be made razor sharp with a hand hone. T be clear I mean the cutting edge, not the tip. Usually you want a small radius on the tip so you get a better surface finish.

Alright, so seems like more time with the grinder and some better wheels. If I'm gonna spend 50 bucks or so on a wheel will a 40ish white wheel be what I need? Or should I go with the blue Norton as suggested by Dan_S?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a look at Oxtool and ABomb79's YouTube video series entitled Chip Control. Tom and Adam go at it trying to take the biggest cut using HSS hand ground bits, showing how they like to grind their tool bits. IIRC one of them uses a hand grinder with the bit clamped in a vise to rough in the bit then move to the pedestal grinder.

I'm relatively new to machining. I'm a Welder and a Millwright; ('nuff said). Any way, I like to shape my HSS cutters on the grinder (drill bits too) but often, I like to finish them on the belt sander. Stationary belt/disc sander, not a hand-held. Works good to freshen them up too, without removing a lot of material.

Jon.

I've heard a lot of success stories of sharpening HSS on belt sanders. From what I gather the 72" belt style works good. I have one and have never tied using it for HSS...might have to try it.

Alright, so seems like more time with the grinder and some better wheels. If I'm gonna spend 50 bucks or so on a wheel will a 40ish white wheel be what I need? Or should I go with the blue Norton as suggested by Dan_S?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You already have a grinder so wheels it is. Yes, 40ish white wheel will be much better than the original grey wheels.
The idea is to use a soft open wheel for fast cutting. I bought an 80 grit white wheel (2A80H12) which is good for quick roughing of new blanks.
Most of the grinding after that would be touch ups on the same wheel followed up by diamond honing.

Back