How to "properly" apply cutting fluid?

Anymouse

Registered
Registered
Here is my first post...

Not long ago I was loitering around a machinist type forum websight and read an individual's protest that most do not know how to properly apply cutting oil on work (no explanation). As I recall, he/she was only speaking of operator applied cutting fluid/oil, not coolant.

I have seen in videos operators drip cutting oil/fluid over the cutting bit and others simply coat the work before cutting then introduce the cutting tool.

I better ask now; is there a correct and incorrect way?

I asked the person with the most posts on HSM what cutting oil he uses when turning and he said heavy mineral oil, and that is what I've been using since. You can get it at the grocery, it isn't expensive, and it's easy on the hands.

Pat

Re: How to

knudsen link=topic=1185.msg5726#msg5726 date=1298954265 said:
I the beeswax with MO too. Makes good hand lotion. Use baby oil and it smells good for the wife :D

What ever you use, a little goes a long way and makes less mess.

What do you use for a indicator that you need more? Color of chips, smell, sound?

Last edited by a moderator:
once you cut through the initial surface do you keep applying as you cut or once is good?

what rule of thumb do you use for drilling holes in thicker materials? Constant apply? Once and done? Only when it smokes? :eek:

I have always been afraid to burn up a bit so I probably use too much lube ;D

I got a visual on that one, I think I will be carefull with the lube :eek: ;D :p

Re: How to

knudsen link=topic=1185.msg5842#msg5842 date=1299160258 said:
Yes, I apply every pass, or every other pass. On a lathe, I don't turn it off. Sometimes use a brush, or an applicator bottle. WD-40, I just spray. Pure kerosene I drip from a squeeze bottle, but a pump/spray bottle would work too. Kero and WD is better for Aluminum, but it's nice because it mostly evaporates and doesn't make such a mess.

what about fire hazard with kerosene is that a problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cutting fluids come in different forms. I use a flood coolant on the lathes and the larger mill, and mist on the BP clone. As far as cutting oil, I slather it on liberally, using dark, sulfurized oil. Tapping I use pretty much all the time Tap Magic, one for Aluminum, and a original for all others. Each gets just enough Tap Magic to coat the tap, and reapplied after bringing the tap out to clear chips. Once in a while, I'll use cutting oil on the lathe, and slop some on the OD if it is turning, and be again, pretty liberal. Boring, I slap some in the front of the bore and use an air hose to blow some back into the rest of the bore if it's lathework and I am not running flood coolant. I believe in a pretty good coat. Threading gets oil every pass until the last couple of passes, and then if it looks a little rough, it gets some Tap Magic. If smooth, more oil.

Except for the cost, I use lots of coolant or oil with no complaints. However, the sufurized oil does smell up the place, and the clothes too. It doesn't win any favors at home when I come in stinking of oil. I just say it's the smell of money being made.

Back