How To Polish 7' X 4" Stainless Tube

Rcdizy

Registered
Registered
I was thinking the easiest way would be to buy a big old lathe, wouldn't even matter if it had significant wear, and set up the tube in the lathe, and make some kind of a toolpost mounted angle grinder with a buffing wheel on it?

Run on power feed? would this work?

I know more details are needed... the pipe is quite polished already, but needs to become a mirror finish.
there would be hundreds of these tubes to polish.

would the lower Rpm of a vintage lathe be enough?

might work?

Since it isn't a high tolerance project. Why not just make a wooden lathe with a motor on one end to turn the tube and a center on the other end. Then just use a hand power buffer with the right rouge.

I was thinking the easiest way would be to buy a big old lathe, wouldn't even matter if it had significant wear, and set up the tube in the lathe, and make some kind of a toolpost mounted angle grinder with a buffing wheel on it?

Run on power feed? would this work?

I know more details are needed... the pipe is quite polished already, but needs to become a mirror finish.
there would be hundreds of these tubes to polish.

would the lower Rpm of a vintage lathe be enough?

might work?
I have done this, had a 24 X 100 lathe and made a fixture to hold a large right angle grinder with a cloth wheel in the tool post. Placed the tube on plugs and coated it with polishing compound, ran the spindle and started the grinder and engaged the feed from the chuck to the tailstock. Then went across the shop to run another lathe as the traverse would take 20-25 minutes.

After 15 minutes or so the cloth wheel burst into flames, be aware that this sort of abrasive polishing generates a great deal of heat. It worked a charm and gave a mirror finish, however I only had two 4" Dia. X 65" long parts to do and it is a slow process, I suggest getting a quote from an electro polishing company for hundreds of parts, this may require making dielectric plugs for the tubes so that they may be held in the tank and also not polish the ID if not required.

These were parts of the davits that hoist a rigid inflatable at the stern of this boat, they had to be very shiny indeed.
cherubini_48_photo_zpsyijojrmb.jpg

Good Luck

Last edited:
Back