how to move over a support plate by drilling new holes......

green

Registered
Registered
I am changing my small cnc router's unsupported linear shafts to thk guided rails. Currently, the machine base has two 80/20 1x3" pieces supporting and attaching the ends of the machine---two solid aluminum plates. Simply picture a rectangle, with the 80/20 pieces forming the longer sides. These 80/20 pieces are bolted to the aluminum plates with two bolts on each end.

In order to mount the new linear rails, these 80/20 pieces need to be moved closer to the gantry's side plates by an inch or so.

Now, the question. Is it possible to drill two new holes precisely parallel to the current ones? Ideally, I'd like to use some measuring tool or jig that allows me to simply measure the new holes and use a hand drill rather than dismantling the machine completely in order to use a bench drill.

I'd like to use my mini mill or the current router to design and make the necessary jig-- in mdf.

My thinking, so far, is to draw on cad a square jig with four holes. The first two holes represent the existing holes on the machine ; the other two holes represent my new holes location. I would then cnc the jig in 3/4 mdf and bolt it to the plate, using the existing holes and longer bolts. At this point, the jig would act as hole guides, mounted solidly, with which to drill the new holes in their new location.

Since I don't have much room for error, I am asking for wise advice. My hope is that there's a tool or jig already on the market that makes this possible and with high precision.

Once I do this correctly, I will need to drill new holes or make an adapter for the gantry sides to be able to mount the guide rail blocks.

thanks in advance
tony

Back