How To Mount A Vn Universal Head On A 22l?

Reeltor

Active User
Registered
The nice man in the big brown truck brought in a heavy box and put it on my shop table. Inside was a new to me but very old and well used universal subhead. I have a 50 taper spindle on my 22L and a spline drive that I assumed would fit and drive a subhead. Nope, the one I have has a much smaller diameter than what is needed in the subhead. Now, I've noticed that the bolt pattern to mount to the spindle doesn't fit the subhead. You know what assumptions are :)

So, has anyone mounted a universal subhead to a 22L or 22LU Van Norman? If so, can you post some photos? It looks like a adapter plate needs to be made, bolt the adapter plate to the mill and then the subhead to the adapter plate but what do I know???

Thanks,

Mike

Completely understand. I have a high speed sub head on its way, and I am pretty sure it wont fit my 12 either. My plan is to make an adapter plate to make it work. Also, 2 more sub heads are on ebay for the bigger machines, and the 2nd one is only $175. Ton of stuff hitting the market now.

Jason

Apparently the seller had two subheads, must have come from the same company. White chipped paint w/6 #2 collets. I bought one, then he put the other on EBay.

I haven't actually attempted to attach my subhead to my 22LU as my priority has been making an arbor support out of this 2"x6"x16" 1018 I dug out of a scrap bin. As my greatest need has been a horizontal milling workhorse.
While it appeared that my subhead would just bolt up, I'll actually attempt to do so this weekend.

Daryl
MN

Back